Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Central Africa Postcard Post Office?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 6,015Next Topic  
Valued Member

Switzerland
14 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jass01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have bought a postcard from British Central Africa (later Nyassaland and today Malawi)from 1895 but I can't identify the exact Name of the post Office, the Name starts with TSH.... can somebody help me to identify the post Office Name or have any idea what it can be? thank you very much! rgds Peter

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel is probably Tsangano, Malawi; possibly a revised spelling from Tsh......

It's the only town shown that begins with TS.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Malawi
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by doug2222 - 04/25/2013 1:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see the whole card?
Doug hit the nail on the mark.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Valued Member
Switzerland
14 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jass01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
enclosed Picture of the whole postcard:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Switzerland must be an unusual destination for something from Malawi...
Edited by new12collector - 04/25/2013 3:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see the message side too?
Valued Member
Switzerland
14 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jass01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here's the backside of the postcard as requested

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks lovely!
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 04/25/2013   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The BCA mails passed through Tshinde, which is probably your example.

There is also a BCA cds from Tshiromo that you see from time to time. Any chance that fits? The fifth letter sure looks like an 'N' but it might look different when you're holding it in your hand.

The bigger questions in my mind are the 1d rate to Switzerland, and the date of the message after the date of the postmark.

There was also a 2d 'External' card, which is what I would have thought would be used to Switzerland...anyone have any ideas on that?
Edited by Cjd - 04/25/2013 11:56 pm
Valued Member
Switzerland
14 Posts
Posted 04/26/2013   06:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jass01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks CJD for your comments, do you eventually know how Tshinde or Chinde is called today? I've also seen that the date on the back (5.1.1895) is later then the post Office cancel, but I think that has no signification or are there also forgeries on the market for postcards?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 04/26/2013   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although there is a wide spot in the road within Malawi that is shown as Chinde, at 11°27'00"S, 33°25'00"E (near the western border of the country), I don't know when or if it had a post office.

Most (and perhaps all?) Tshinde/Chinde postmarks relate to the British concession at the Zambezi delta, an Indian Ocean port in present-day Mozambique. Mail and goods bound for BCA were offloaded from ocean-going ships at Chinde and sent upriver on steamers. Goods were logged in at Chiromo, which probably explains the prevalence of revenue cancels for Chiromo.

Anyone have a switchover date for the change in the cancels from TSHINDE to CHINDE? It looks like it must have been around 1895 or early 1896. (Chinde cancels frequently appear as a transit marking on BCA covers.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 04/26/2013   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1906 map of the area around British Central Africa:

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com...a%201906.htm

Chinde is just below Quilimane, near the bottom right corner, along the coast of the Indian Ocean. Chinde is a bit hard to read because of the heavy lines, but follow the Zambezi River to the ocean and there it is.

Quilimane is better known as Quelimane to stamp collectors.

What a fabulous hobby, no?
Valued Member
Switzerland
14 Posts
Posted 04/26/2013   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jass01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you very much for your detailed Information, now I can understand how it works with mail on that Region, but it's a pity anyway that no cancel from a british central africa City is on the postcard, Chinde (Tshinde) is therefore a Transit cancel on the way to Switzerland, but anyway another scarce postcard in my Switzerland incoming mail collection!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5846 Posts
Posted 04/26/2013   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would allow for the possibility that your card originated from someone working in Chinde, though I suppose you can't rule out the postmark being applied in Chinde to cancel a card that missed being canceled in the interior. (Or, at least not without knowing a lot more about the postal history of BCA.)

This is a total guess, but I wonder if there is a chance that 1d. was enough to get to Switzerland from Chinde, since the card didn't have to travel out of the interior, down the river to Chinde?

I've probably shown it here before, but here is a 2d External card, unfortunately not used:

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 6,015Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05