Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japanese Post Cards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 3,596Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ncbuckeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are some of the post cards I received in a recent stamp club auction (there is a separate post showing some of the envelopes I received). Most are New Year's greetings.

The first two images are of a postal card with attached reply card.

I'm not sure what the numbers on the left side of the card signify.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, nice examples!

The numbers are for the annual New Year's lottery. When you send someone a card, you've also entered them in the lottery! (Kind of like giving Scratcher tickets at Christmas.)

Although there are a few big prizes, most of the lucky winners will receive the souvenir sheet issued for that year's new year's stamps. (This is footnoted in Scott under the stamps. -- I've thought about putting together a webpage that shows them.)

Here are a couple of posts from people who've won the souvenir sheets in recent years:

http://tokyo5.wordpress.com/tag/new-year-lottery/

http://lang-8.com/seroris/journals/...ery-in-Japan

-- Dave
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, your third example shown, with the big "T" crossed out, is an interesting little item. I'm pretty sure of this, but am willing to be corrected, that this shows that the card was originally charged postage due, I'm guessing for the international postcard rate to the US.

Judging from the other used examples, it looks like mail sent from Japan to APO addresses in Japan should be charged just the domestic rate (even though it has that US-style zipcode on it), and that the postage-due card originally was flagged but ended up being cancelled. (Or else paid -- that might be a possibility as well.)

You definitely did well at that club auction! Congratulations!

-- Dave
Edited by Philatarium - 05/13/2013 7:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! How interesting! I appreciate all of the information - I doubt that I would have been able to gather all of that information. These examples (the cards and covers) were part of around 55 covers. Most are posted from Japan to Camp Drake which is in Japan. Many of the covers are run of the mill, so to speak, but there are several more that I will add to the cover topic I created earelier.
Thanks so much for the education!
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Happy to share what little bit I know! Until recently, I was primarily a Japan collector, but have begun to expand into some other countries and topics.

-- Dave
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1128 Posts
Posted 05/13/2013   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ncbuckeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is why I got into cover/item collecting - there is more of a story than just a cancelled stamp.
Edited by ncbuckeye - 05/13/2013 7:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 05/14/2013   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations - great cards - I certainly would like to own them.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 05/14/2013   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are great cards alright. I always wondered what the numbers were for.

You learn something new every day here.

Chimo

Bujutsu
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 3,596Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05