Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 Four Flags Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 12,805Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I look at it some more, it seems the horizontal die cut is a little short on the left side. I don't know how they apply the die cuts: all at once, or separate passes (vertically and horizontal). There doesn't seem to have proper alignment or engagement in the UL corner.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wt1, you are showing what is called a "cobra die-cut". It is supposed to be there, only if the cutting knives did their work properly ( that is, were adjusted correctly ), they would be a bit less obvious. Also, on top of the cobra on the upper left side a "bridge" is showing. A bridge is where the two adjacent rolls were connected before they were separated at the post office.

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 09/10/2013 09:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have mentioned that an excellent write-up of these die cut varieties is available from the Plate Number Coil Collectors Club
(PNC3). It is called "Avery Die Cut Varieties", and is 29 loose leaf pages with color illustrations. Ordering info can be found on the PNC3 website, www.PNC3.org

Peter
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just want to point out that the coil stamp under discussion is a Sennett product, so may not be covered in the "Avery Die Cut Varieties" publication. You may want to ask before ordering. Email catalog@pnc3.org.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! How do you know it is a Sennett product? I do not see a plate number! Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do you know it is a Sennett product? I do not see a plate number!

Look back to dlambert1's post about these coil stamps and it will explain: Avery coils are perf 8.5; Ashton Potter perf 9.5; and Sennett perf 11, which makes the coils relatively easy to tell apart.

The example I previously posted (Freedom) is therefore a Sennett product, more specifically, Scott #4639.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2764 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   10:19 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter - you can tell them apart even without gauging them. Only Sennett has the long slanted / or \ at top and bottom (or entirely at top or bottom if the cutting is off a bit). AP has a long vertical | and Avery has a very short vertical |.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
Posted 03/20/2016   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decide to bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

The major variety of Scott 4641-4644 is listed as overall tagging.

A minor variety, 4641a-4644a, states it is prephosphored coated paper with surface tagging showing a solid appearance.

I attached a scan of my booklet. Given there is a gap (looks purple) between tagging then
I would guess this is the minor variety but asking for confirmation.

I would describe this as large block tagging but not sure the pure definitions.

Edited by angore - 03/20/2016 12:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 03/20/2016   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely the overall tagged variety. There would be no dark gap if the paper was prephosphored. The phosphor coating is on top of the ink, which is another clue that the stamps are overall tagged.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
Posted 03/20/2016   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 03/20/2016   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore, that is a great picture. May I ask how you took that? It almost looks like a scan!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
Posted 03/20/2016   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I took it with a Nikon D600 DLSR with a Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro lens on a copy stand with the Raytech Versalume UV lamp. The exposure was f2.8 at 0.5 sec at ISO 3200. I did it in a hurry so notice the focus is slightly out on the left since I did not have it a parallel. I just need to square it up the next time and increase the depth of field slightly.

Al
Edited by angore - 03/20/2016 5:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 03/20/2016   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore. Thank you very much for the info! I will make good use of it.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2764 Posts
Posted 03/20/2016   10:07 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
concur it is the overall version (both because of the gap and the haze overthe printing - on prephos the ink stands out sharper).

edited to add - the image os so good, you can see the grid of phosphor dots, another indication it is overall.
Edited by eyeonwall - 03/20/2016 10:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
Posted 03/21/2016   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my goals was to take images of various issues in the various tagging combinations for reference.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 12,805Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05