Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 Four Flags Varieties

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 12,804Next Topic
Page: of 3
Rest in Peace
Netherlands
963 Posts
Posted 03/21/2016   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore,

awfully good!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Galeoptix - 03/21/2016 08:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 08/18/2018   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,
This group is so helpfull!

I'm using the free USA album pages from Philosatelia.com (Mr. Blackston). His 2012 Four Flags pages were arranged in rows of 3.
I submitted a request that he make some optional pages with them grouped in rows of 4. He graciously agreed and put the new optional pages on his site. I printed them out and as I was arranging my stamps on the pages I realized that in addition to the 4641-4644 from APU (Avery) that has overall tagging, there is a variety: 4641a-4644a from APU that is on prephosphored paper with a solid tag.
I had all the 4641-4644 overall tag stamps that I had in the old (3 per row) album pages (including all booklet positions). But did not have any of the 4641a-4644a solid tag varieties included on that old style album page. I wondered if I may have had some of the 4641a-4644a solid tagged varieties in my duplicates that I may not have even checked for at the time I was accumulating them.
Sure enough, when I checked my glassines with dupes of 4641-4644 I found several that were solid tagged making them 4641a-4644a.
I even found enough to have solid tagged versions of all the booklet positions except for one. I am lacking the 4644a (Justice) stamp that has a straight edge on both the bottom and right sides.

When I was trying to ID the tagging on the stamps I have, I found, as previously explained earlier in this thread, that the overall tagging has a distinct checkerboard pattern easily visible under some magnification, and the solid tag has, as named, a solid appearance.

I took a couple pics with my cell phone and thought others might like to see the difference side by side so they can check their 4641-4644 dupes too.

V/R

Dave N.

Edited by oldtriguy1960 - 08/18/2018 11:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 08/18/2018   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

I have another tip for identifying some of these Four Flag Stamps:

APU (4641-4644 Overall Tagging) Colored Dots in stars, 18 1/2 mm flag width, Small/Bold "USPS" microprint

APU (4641a-4644a Solid Tagging) Colored Dots in stars, 18 1/2 mm flag width, Small/Bold "USPS" microprint

APU ATM18 (4706-4709 Solid Tagging) Thin Paper, Colored Dots in stars, 18 1/2 mm flag width, Small/Bold "USPS" microprint

AVR CB10 (4673-4676 Solid Tagging) Colored Dots in stars, 19 1/4 mm flag width, slightly larger/lighter "USPS" microprint

So if you dont want to or can't measure the flag width, you can tell the difference between Ashton-Potter (APU) and Avery (AVR) by the font of the "USPS".

Here's a pic of the two "USPS" fonts for comparison...

V/R
Dave N.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 12,804Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05