Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal History Anniversary : Benjamin Franklin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,739Next Topic  
Valued Member

392 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lorddenning to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Canadian Postal History is being recognized by Canada Post on June 10, 2013. The 250th Anniversary of Postal History stamp features Benjamin Franklin. This following story was published in the Vancouver Province on June 8, 2013:

http://www.theprovince.com/life/Ben...6/story.html

I have posted articles dealing with 250 years of Canadian Postal History:

http://postalhistorycorner.blogspot...-corner.html
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I knew that Ben was a postmaster for the British colonies, but I didn't recognize the significance of the connection with Canada and that it would be enough to warrant the honor. Great info.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
650 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadianphilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an excerpt from Canada Post's Details magazine April - June 2013 Volume XXII No. 2. I hope the image doesn't get resized too much and everyone can see it.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/09/2013   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to this news article posted today (06/09/2013), it seems that some Canadians are calling the new Benjamin Franklin stamp controversial, to say the least:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/u-s-fo...hy-1.1317754
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
Posted 06/10/2013   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therealwesty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The controversy is kind of amusing. Whether people like it or not, it was Franklin that established much of the early organized mail through the B.N.A. colonies. In 1763 when Franklin established the Quebec/Montreal/Trois Rivieres route it was not yet a matter of Canada and the US. The revolutionary war hadn't yet occurred, the Declaration of Independence hadn't been created. It is still 100 years before Canada wouldn't even begin to organize confederation. It was just a bunch of colonies trying to get established in the new world. The demands of the times called for co-operation among them!
Valued Member
China
265 Posts
Posted 06/10/2013   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why I torture myself reading letters to the editor in online news forums. The comments in the CTV article are idiotic.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 09/01/2013   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fjrosetti to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where did the 250th Anniversary of Postal History stamp issue disappear to? Canada Post lists the 10 stamp booklet as no longer available and there is no mention at all for the first day cover. I see from the posts here that the item, which included Benjamin Franklin's image, was not at all popular with many Canadians, but was this the reason the item was pulled? Would be helpful if Canada Post offered some explanation.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 09/01/2013   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fjrosetti to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where did the 250th Anniversary of Postal History stamp issue disappear to? Canada Post lists the 10 stamp booklet as no longer available and there is no mention at all for the first day cover. I see from the posts here that the item, which included Benjamin Franklin's image, was not at all popular with many Canadians, but was this the reason the item was pulled? Would be helpful if Canada Post offered some explanation.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
650 Posts
Posted 09/01/2013   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadianphilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The item was not pulled because I have one. They only made 1,350,000 booklets. Maybe they're sold out?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
650 Posts
Posted 09/01/2013   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadianphilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I think there might be a problem with the Canada Post website. I just tried to order the NHL stamps which are scheduled to be issued on 03 September 2013 and the Canada Post Community Foundation stamps which is scheduled to be issued on 30 September 2013 and I couldn't order any of those stamps.
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
Posted 09/01/2013   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Minesweeper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. CP website is the absolute worse site in the universe.
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
Posted 09/03/2013   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Minesweeper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The CP website may not sell them anymore, but I went to my local post office this morning, they still had some. It seems they were not recalled, or at least, not yet.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 09/03/2013   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fjrosetti to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! I was just puzzled as to why the issue disappeared without an explanation from Canada Post. It's site just stated that the issue was no longer available. Quite a fast exit (2 months or less) for a stamp with a topic that many were just not very interested in.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,739Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05