Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sos ! A City To Indentify Pls !

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 5,168Next Topic  
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 06/23/2013   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add March to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A PPC showing a city devastated by war ( most likely WW II) It could be a French, Belgium or German city ?!?

On the back side no clues as it was not circulated. On the front side there are two statues , which appears to be of high rank militaries from 1700'-1800' ( going by their uniform , high boots...).
On the back of this square (?) there are some shops in ruins but their sign are nor readable.
So can anyone "hit the jackpot" pls ?!?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 06/23/2013   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Show us the other side of the card, please.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 06/23/2013   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will do it after weekend . Tks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 06/23/2013   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I think of an old city with very wide streets and badly destroyed I think if Munchen.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 06/23/2013   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by March - 06/23/2013 09:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
2232 Posts
Posted 06/23/2013   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say Northern France or Belgium 1918, after WWI.
Pillar Of The Community
2361 Posts
Posted 06/23/2013   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add doug2222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's WW1 vintage; that's why I wanted to see the other side of the card.

Note there are no street signs, no streetlights, nothing to support an automotive culture; that much suggests it's older. In fact, just the opposite -- very wide streets to accommodate horses and wagons/carts.
Edited by doug2222 - 06/23/2013 8:45 pm
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 06/24/2013   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

@ doug2222

Hi ,
Here is the back side of the above PPC. As I did mention there is nothing which might help to identify the city, town or village.
It is a private post card made between 1918-1919, and in my opinion it shows one of the cities, towns or villages located on the Battle Front as shown hereunder :

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/places/ww...rn-front.htm

It could be Ypres... Arras... Verdun...
Without a clue at least about those 2 statues chances to identify it are very, very slim !

Sherlock Holmes work !
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 01/15/2014   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some questions to consider. Is it a RPPC? (real photo post card) - that being the case it might have had limited production and not be commercial. If limited, it could have been limited to just one person - the purchaser. Why did this scene warrant a postcard? It is a destroyed street scene - probably like hundreds of others. My thinking is that this was a personal photo printed as a post card, and that it shows perhaps the person's home or place of business. That being the case there would be no great significance to the location or the event. Just thinking out loud.
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 01/17/2014   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any photograph from WWI frontline or near frontline is a document !
Valued Member
Canada
242 Posts
Posted 01/17/2014   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Faken to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not so sure about this being northern France, the clues are in the architecture... note the style and centering of the chimneys, not typical of northern France in that era at all. Scans in 2400 DPI would be nice, it's hard to make things out. The style looks more Romanian to be honest, so I would guess a city in Romania.

I'm a huge WWII history buff thanks to my grandfather, but really know only the basics about WWI so can't say for sure. Pretty sure Austria and Russia had some active battles in Romania.
Please check out my eBay Auctions! http://stores.ebay.com/danrichard-stamps
Edited by Faken - 01/17/2014 1:42 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 5,168Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05