Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Hotels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 27,707Next Topic
Page: of 9
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 10/14/2013   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You said that "you don't know of any SCF members who would want them for trade?" Well you do now! I am quite interested. Please contact me if you would please? Sincerely -Jeff
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 10/14/2013   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1. As always thank you very much.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4599 Posts
Posted 10/14/2013   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is always interesting to see any particular hotel from different angles. Those two postcards picturing the Demeling in Pennsylvania are very nice ones.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 10/15/2013   03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few more for the topic.

Edited by stampfan9 - 10/15/2013 03:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 04/02/2014   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two from the south for the topic:

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/02/2014   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bujutsu, Greetings: What would you like in trade?

Postcards of hotels always make it into my Keeper Pile, and are zealously guarded.

Here's one I scanned for an old friend in Kansas City.

http://www.hialaddin.com/

http://www.overkc.com/eyeterra/mark...l/index.html circle the lobby, so to speak

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Edited by ikeyPikey - 04/02/2014 08:42 am
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cleveland's Hotel Statler was opened in 1912.

This card dates from 1954 (acquired by Hilton) to 1971 (building converted & renamed).

Someday, I hope to know more about the technical process behind the illustration by "J.Hammer".

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

http://coolhistoryofcleveland.wordp...atler-hotel/ for more information ...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Mucho hotels.
I've got these two
Place Viger CPR Hotel and Station, Montreal

and the Hotel Tours in Denver Col., though mailed from New Providence Iowa.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postmark on that postcard (New Providence, IA) is a remarkably small place ... a population of 228 (about 60 families) and it still supports a post office:

The highlight of the place seems to be that residents can go for a "community breakfast" on Monday mornings at the "soda fountain"!

http://newprovidenceia.com/history.html
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not only did the hotels & their postcards have more class, Bujutsu; sometimes their clients did, as well.

"When I was growing up, I had three wishes - I wanted to be a Lindbergh-type hero, learn Chinese, and become a member of the Algonquin Round Table" - John F Kennedy

The card is a very recent reprint (note the URL) of an illustration that I wish I knew more about; maybe I'll just waltz into the sales & marketing office and, like, you know, ask them ...

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited by ikeyPikey - 04/05/2014 8:16 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Information on the Algonquin Round Table Members (back in the day) is shown at this link:

http://www.algonquinroundtable.org/members.html

Quite awhile ago I posted this seemingly boring cover until I realized the return address was that of Neysa McMein, who was a member of the Algonquin Round Table!

http://goscf.com/t/11530
Edited by wt1 - 04/05/2014 10:26 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/06/2014   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Individual members of the Algonquin Round Table also have, well, fan clubs: Mr Benchley, Mrs Parker, etc.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/06/2014   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you wish more hotel postcards looked like wedding invitations?

(Note the embossed edge/frame.)

Viva Italia!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4599 Posts
Posted 04/06/2014   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure is nice to see more of these old hotel cards. As ikeyPikey stated, the clientele in those days were something else too. I think it would be neat to have a convention or some other important gathering in hotels such as the ones we have seen in here.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/07/2014   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In fact, Bujutsu, the Bentley blog has a post about visiting the current-day Algonquin Hotel.

Meanwhile, here is the Tale Of Two Hotels:

The Ocean City MD King Charles Hotel made a beautiful card from an excellent photograph.

The Ann Arbor MI Sheraton Motor Inn made a card worthy of The Bad Postcards Blog. To judge favorably, let's assume that their name went on the property during the most of the year when it can be hard to get a decent color photograph in Ann Arbor, and those painful pastels would have been right at home at a hotel in, say, Miami.

OTOH, what could ever excuse those silly TinkerToy wheels on that truck?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited by ikeyPikey - 04/07/2014 10:54 pm
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 27,707Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05