Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Hotels

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 27,706Next Topic
Page: of 9
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 08/07/2014   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Battleship USS Connecticut BB18 cruising Hampton Roads in the vicinity of the Chamberlin Hotel.

Reminds me of the old joke from the Soviet Union. The Party announced that a giant statue honoring Pushkin would be unveiled on the 150th anniversary of his birth. Turned-out to be a giant statue of Stalin, holding a small volume of Pushkin's poems.

My apologies to the youngsters; I guess you had to be there.

That card ain't no two-fer; its more like a one-and-one-tenther ;)

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/07/2014   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I note the postcard with the USS Connecticut (BB18) and Hotel Chamberlin in the background is unused. I found it interesting to try and date that card, which must have been within a 14 year spread, sometime between 1906 and 1920.

Actually, it was 1896 (when the first Chamberlin Hotel was built) and 1920 (when the original Hotel Chamberlin was destroyed by fire that year and was not rebuilt until 1928.) Further, the USS Connecticut (BB18) was commissioned in 1906 and decommissioned and sold for scrap in 1923.

Interestingly, the name on the previously scanned postcard refers to George F. Adams, as Manager of the Hotel Chamberlin. He is recorded as Manager on legal documents for the hotel as early as 1903 and was actually there and discovered the 1920 fire, so he must have been employed there for the better part of 20 years.

[Edited to more accurately revise dates of the card.]
Edited by wt1 - 08/08/2014 06:49 am
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/26/2014   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings,

I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing you wonderful hotel post cards and reading the posts! Thank you!

Reference your statement:

Quote:
My question now is: Because I already have these cards, do you, the SCF members, think I should keep them? I ask this because I don't know any other collectors who want these for trade. So, I am thinking of getting the history on these hotel cards and mounting them in a binder?? Who knows? Maybe somebody would be interested in them as a complete unit??

If you don't want to take the time to make a complete a unit, perhaps you would be interested in a "Give Away"?

I would certainly appreciate a few that I would frame, hang on the wall as an Art Piece with "Donated by SCF Member Chimo" inscribed on a nice brass plaque!

John

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4599 Posts
Posted 08/27/2014   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John

While I am not against 'giveaways' per se, I also have to state that I do get leery of some people asking for 'hand-outs'. To say, "I would gladly take them and frame them", is a bit much.

I paid $$ for my cards. IOW, I earned them!

The cards I showed are available for trade or sale. In fact, one other SCF member did have an exchange with me for some of my hotel cards.

Some day I do plan to 'donate' to the SCF forum, but I will be the one to decide what and the time

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 08/27/2014 12:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 08/27/2014   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a clarification, the card of Bullock's in Los Angeles shown at the start of this thread depicts a department store, not a hotel. Bullock's was a sizable department store chain in Southern California well into the 1980s, but is now gone.

I also wish to note that model railroaders, of which I am one, and other miniaturists greatly value these cards as they us understand and duplicate in miniature various details of architecture, supporting structures, and street life. Collections of cards depicting long-gone industrial structures, such as canneries, citrus packing houses, barns and grain elevators can be very useful in modeling and I often buy them both for postal history and for my other hobby.

Chris
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 08/27/2014   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... model railroaders ... and other miniaturists greatly value these cards as they {help} us understand and duplicate in miniature various details ...

But when such a model railroader sees a postcard of a model railroad, does his brain phart?

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 08/29/2014   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to get us back on topic, G-d Forbid, but here is a 1925.07.18-postmarked card of the Imperial Hotel on Russell Square, London UK, long gone.

http://www.londonremembers.com/subj...ssell-square

Remind me to post a link to this beauty under the Handwriting/Penmanship thread:

I stayed at The Imperial's sister, The Hotel Russell, next door, ~15 years ago.

http://www.hotelrusselllondon.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Russell

The Imperial was rebuilt and, well, judge for yourself, mate.

http://www.VictorianTurkishBath.org/ ... a reward for being kind enough to read this far

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/conten...ll-square.en ... timeline for Russell Square

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bujutsu, no disrespect meant or implied;

My saying that I would frame them and hang them on my wall, was meant to convey the appreciation that I'd have for these postcards and allowing them to be seen by all.

I have many art pieces hanging on my walls. Most aren't worth too much, but some are. So perhaps you can see the pride I'd have in displaying such an assemblage of a few postcards of this nature on my wall.

As for the "giveaway" and someone asking for a handout; I am sorry that I may have given you the idea that I was directly asking you for a handout. Only in light that you may have had a handout, I would have been honored to receive some. AND don't we all ask for a handout when we respond to members who hold them?

I, as you, should you keep this wonderful collection, would have looked up all the info on each hotel and posted this with the cards in a frame on my wall.

Personally, I recommend that you keep this collection and do as you say, identify them with appropriate information and assemble them in an album.

It would be wonderful and an honor to view this album here on SCF or a link to do so.

Respectfully, John

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4599 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John

Thank you for this posting.

Between you and me, let's forget the messages like they never happened.

I do prefer trades and do so on occasion when another party has cards of interest that I am interested in.

Who knows, I might display more cards in here, but, that depends on whether or not I get a trade going on

All the best, and, again thank you.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Chimo,

What a nice reply. Thank you.

I will go thru my stash of postcards and see if there is anything that you may be interested in trading for.

Please give me some time to go thru them and get back to you.

Yes, please think about posting more of you wonderful cards here! The response/readers of your thread indicates to me that many other people would also enjoy/appreciate viewing more of "Old Hotel" or any of your picture postcards as it shows that you only collect the best.

Have a great day!

With gratitude,

John
Edited by mudhut1000 - 09/02/2014 2:02 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PMFJI, but let's give a thought to London's Ivanhoe Hotel.

An archive listing dates the photo as 1906.04.09, but I ain't got no clue about the postcard, and could not find any further information on the life of the hotel.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the Ivanhoe Hotel, London, here's some information at the time of its construction:

It had some notoriety in 1946, presumably after it was empty after World War II:

Quote:
Up to Marlborough Hotel, on corner of Great Russell Street: Formerly the 630-room Ivanhoe Hotel, squatted in September 1946, as part of the post-war squatting wave. Empty for some time, it had been used during the war to house Irish labourers repairing bomb damaged buildings. At the end of WW2 there was massive homelessness around the country – a pre-war shortage of housing had been made worse by the destruction of houses through bombing and a total halt in the building of new housing. Demobilisation of thousands of servicemen jacked this up into a crisis… As a result there was mass squatting of empty houses, and later army camps and depots, around the country. In September this spread into London: on Sept 8th Duchess of Bedford House in Kensington was occupied by over 1000 people; within the next 2 days other buildings in Kensington, Abbey lodge near Regents Park and Fountain Court in Pimlico were also squatted. The Ivanhoe was squatted on the 10th. All were luxury housing or hotels left empty during a housing crisis… The Communist Party was heavily involved in these London actions, though there has been argument over how dominant they were in the squatting movement nationally, initially they rubbished the early autonomous squatters then jumped on the bandwagon when it became obvious how the movement was taking off. Then took things over and repressed independent activity. Sound familiar? While the squatting in the camps was more the practical meeting of a basic need, the London actions were more political propaganda acts. Launched a campaign to force the Government to requisition empty private housing for those in need - It did trigger some squatting of smaller houses in the London suburbs.

The squatters here used a diversion tactic to get in to the Ivanhoe… One group drew police who were on their back off to another building some distance off, while another group moved in on the hotel. 12 families broke in through boarded up doors; by this time the cops had got wind and turned up, blocking up the doors and reboarding them, to stop other squatters getting in. An attempt by others to force their way in was prevented by the police.

The Police put a cordon round the hotel; although food and bedding could be thrown in from the outside by supporters, people could not go in or out, so the squat became a siege. There were confrontations between supporters outside and cops, here and at other buildings. Within a few days five Communist Party members involved in planning the squats had been arrested for conspiracy and incitement to trespass. Court orders were obtained against all the squatted buildings, they seem to have left voluntarily after this, reports in the press said there were just 13 people left at the end, they left in taxis paid for by the CP.

Today, the property is part of the Radisson Edwardian Blu Hotel, which I assume is new construction after the old Ivanhoe was razed.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/03/2014   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Earning, once again, the '1' in 'wt1'.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/07/2014   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Howard Hotel, London, UK.

It was easy to find references to the hotel, in print, from 1899-1962.

For example, it was commandeered for wounded soldiers during WW1.

Crisp photos (1895-1898) are at http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

1901: 'electric light throughout'! What will they think of, next?

1905: surely the CPR can only be the Canadian Pacific Railway?

1934: in The Sydney Mail

The lower price (10/6) suggests this card is pre-1934.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1285 Posts
Posted 09/08/2014   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two for the topic:

Unused.

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 27,706Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05