Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ship Locks

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4573 Posts
Posted 06/24/2013   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are a couple of postcards showing some locks. I find both interesting. The one shows the lock at Lockport, N.Y. as it appeared in 1837.

The sepia card is interesting too because of the type of ships shown going through. The name escapes me for the moment of the ship at right. Both cards are unused but have writing on the back. I think they were called 'whalebacks'??

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1214 Posts
Posted 06/24/2013   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to Wikipedia, whaleback it is.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4573 Posts
Posted 06/24/2013   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes my memory is good lol

Some years ago, I purchased a book from eBay called "Great Lakes Shipping" and this is where I found out what this type of vessel was called.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 06/25/2013   05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hope you don't mind me jumping aboard and joining in!
This is a postcard from 1906, a family piece, showing Latchford Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal in NW England. This canal was designed to be a major artery carrying goods and raw materials from the port of Liverpool to feed the industries in Manchester, and carrying the factories'products back out to be shipped around the world.

In the 1950s my Dad worked on these locks during his school holidays.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4573 Posts
Posted 06/25/2013   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't mind at all stampgal. The more the merrier.

That is a very nice card you scanned. I am always interested in ships etc on postcards. It must have been interesting work that your father did there.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
India
182 Posts
Posted 06/25/2013   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add our_elephant to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These postcards are very interesting..
@Bujutsu
The ships on sepia card is interesting..
The ones on the right side canal is general cargo ships..
But got confused on the ships on the left side canal,Since they are not having hatch covers first I thought they were tankers, then the doubt, were tankers so popular that time, especially in Great lakes..

Got the answer on wiki.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaleback
Very interesting, haven't heard of such ships yet..
Valued Member
133 Posts
Posted 06/26/2013   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about a Canadian cinderella stamp from 1954 featuring the Peterborough Lift Locks.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1122 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One for the Topic:

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4573 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting material being shown here.

I will have to dog out more material to show in here.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great topic! I grew up in lorain Ohio, and while we didn't have any locks nearby, I spent many days down near US Shipbuilding and the dry-docks where my grandfather was a foreman. Now they have been permanently flooded and luxury condos surround them.

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is always an interesting postmark: Lock No. 4, Pennsylvania:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lock-No-4-P...em3a8cc568d1

For those who don't know the history, an explanation is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...Pennsylvania
Edited by wt1 - 03/12/2014 6:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1122 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more and my last ships' locks card for the topic:

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of history on the addressee of the last postcard, Mrs. W.E. Gravely of Brodhead, KY:

She must have been age 64 at the time the postcard was sent in 1938 (considering she was 94 in 1968).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2485 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Erie Canal that flows across New York State is wonderful. Great history, and still a great part of western NY recreation. I live a stones throw from the locks shown in the two links below. The first is the remains of an original lock from the canal before It was made wider and became the "Barge canal". The second is the current lock maybe a mile or so away.
http://www.eriecanal.org/Lock62.html
http://www.tug44.org/erie.canal/lock-32/
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4573 Posts
Posted 03/13/2014   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a postcard from the Panama Canal. Only one in my collection from there actually.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1122 Posts
Posted 03/14/2014   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got to love the Panama Canal.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05