Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ship Locks

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 03/14/2014   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This dock photograph was brought to mind by this topic. It is a photograph of the HMS Campbeltown well embedded in the dock gates at St. Nazaire, the Kriegsmarine's main submarine base.

Originally a US Navy Wickes class destroyer, USS Buchanan, she was transferred to the Royal Navy during WWll and renamed. After a brief period on loan to the Royal Nederlands Navy she was returned to Royal Navy service in 1941.

Altered to look like a German Mwe class destroyer she took part in the raid on St. Nazaire on 26/28 March 1942, flying the German Kriegsmarine flag on the channel approach, but hoisting the White Ensign for the attack. Filled with explosive she blew up on March 28th wrecking the dock gates and blocking the inner seaway. This magnificent little destroyer had served with the navies of three countries and flown the flags of four. Finding this photograph on a 1942 postcard would indeed be a treasure, though not likely.

Terry

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4577 Posts
Posted 03/15/2014   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great postcard Terrence, especially too it being a 'disaster' type.

Two Summers ago, my wife and I found 7 original B/W cards of the V2 rockets - for 50 cents each! I couldn't believe my luck, but, it does happen every now and then.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 03/15/2014 1:06 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/15/2014   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got to love the Panama Canal.

This has been posted elsewhere, but since several have referenced the Panama Canal, this story is worth re-posting here:

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 03/15/2014   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bujutsu,

This was a photograph taken by German Army photographers. I don't think it has ever graced a postcard, but I would love to have one. Especially if it was sent by one of the British POWs. It was indeed a disaster-for the Germans, as it put their North Atlantic submarine base out of action.

Incidently one of the five VCs awarded was to a gunner on one of the small MTB type support craft. So relentless was his gunnery against one of the German Navy ships that the German captain later recommended to a senior British officer POW that his action be recognised. It is the only VC awarded for a British sea action on the recommendation of an enemy officer.

Terry

Edit for typo. TC.
Edited by Terence Collins - 03/15/2014 3:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 03/16/2014   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, Nicaragua is gearing up to build a canal of their own.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05