Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oldest British Post Office?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 4,887Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 07/08/2013   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

The postcard I have scanned shows an image of the post office of Tintagel.

I have heard in the past that this is one of Britain's oldest smaller post offices but cannot confirm it.

The card is also cancelled from there but has a feint postmark.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/08/2013   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More information at this link:

http://www.tintagelweb.co.uk/OldPostOffice.htm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 07/08/2013   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting wt1

It looks like I hit pay dirt again

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 07/08/2013   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Former Postmaster, "William Cobbledick Balkwill", which Dickens novel did they get that name from?! ;)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 07/08/2013   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea stampgal.

I didn't read many of Dickens books

I'm a Conan Doyle fan

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1695 Posts
Posted 07/08/2013   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postmark is unlikely to be TINTAGEL as it was a post office during the Victorian period only and was almost a ruin by the end of the 19th century. It has been restored as a museum.
For a possible contender for oldest.. try SANQUHAR which has been operating for three hundred years and is still going strong to this day.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 07/09/2013   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that scotzm

I got this postcard at a flea market some years ago locally right in town here.

Some of the cards had fantastic British "Squared Circle' cancels too. Some of them, if you didn't know any better, would look like proof types.

My next question is, if the cancel is not Tintagel, then is it possible it was cancelled at a PO in the same district? Wild guess I know

Chimo

Bujutsu
Edited by Bujutsu - 07/09/2013 2:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1695 Posts
Posted 07/09/2013   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Truro ? Bude ? Perhaps that online program that lets you isolate a postmark could work. Definitely "Cornwall" on the bottom of the postmark anyway.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 07/09/2013   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add new12collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This programme may help...

http://retroreveal.org/
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1695 Posts
Posted 07/09/2013   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TREKNOW, Cornwall??. As stated on the PC. Quite local to Tintagel.
Edited by scotzm - 07/09/2013 4:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 07/09/2013   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 07/11/2013   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tombraidergirl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bujutsu I tried to send a email to you about the Post Cards but it wouldnt allow me to for some reason .. had a few questions...... for ya....

thanks...
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 07/12/2013   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tombraidergirl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks left you a Email....:)
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 4,887Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05