Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada's Ugliest Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 8,739Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
858 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like to nominate #654 (1974) as Canada's ugliest stamp:

Poor Guglielmo and his sickly green face! And a pink Signal Hill in St. John's! What were they thinking?
I wonder if you agree or have another nomination.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1355 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampgal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ugh, fortunate not to have seen that one before.
I agree, you'd have to go a long way to find a stranger use of colour.
Don't think I can top that, though I'll have a look anyhow!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2480 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I didn't know better I'd think the stamp colors had been chemically altered.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1259 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is maddening is some pseudo artist/friend was paid a lot of money by the government of the day to come up with this travesty.
David-DJD
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1341 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are the actual colours and they're not pretty.

I'll have to look for a contender.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   1:24 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was the 1970's. I'm surprised it's not a mixture of oranges and browns. Maybe the designer was tripping.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4610 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Louis Riel stamp wasn't nice either. I thought it was ugly.

Canada #515 - IMHO of course

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battlestamps is right. Early '70s, a hold over from the psychedelic 60's.
There was a diamond shaped monster series that Canada did a few years ago that I thought was particularly hideous, and not just because they were monsters!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
172 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revicbaxter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The more I look at it the more that stamp is growing on me.

I mean at least some thought has gone into it, and it has been 'designed'.

I struggle more with the recent Royal Wedding issues which are nothing better than snap shots.
(I'll not post a picture or you'll think calling the royal couple ugly!)
Valued Member
Canada
411 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some other suggestions ... (all are at the same scale).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kehess to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I kinda like the batik-looking one with the birds.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1348 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Riopelle stamps are beautiful, but the 32c Trefle Berthiaume ,if you look closely, is the face of a monkey hidden in the person's face...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1348 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
forgot to say you have to look at the 32c up-side down
Pillar Of The Community
United States
765 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guykickinit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the four digitized, dot matrix looking famous people are a close run for ugly. Its like a computer's version of pen and ink art, but bad. THe 52c has a lot to look at and I kinda like it. Same with the monkey face guy.
The pane of birds are just excellent. I think OP still has the win though. The guy looks like a cartoon about to throw up.
Member COPC.
Redmond, OR 97756 Mailer's Postmark Permit #1
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my two cents...both subjects being the Queen

Pillar Of The Community
858 Posts
Posted 07/16/2013   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that $2.00 QEII is on my list, too.
And #515 (1970) Louis Riel was bad - flat blue on stark red.
But second is #560 (1972)

It looks like it was made on an old typewriter with a red ink ribbon!
It's hard to imagine that someone was paid for that design!

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 8,739Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05