Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

French Stamp Controversy

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 3,894Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
515 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lpmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Controversy over stamp designs are relatively rare these days. Looks like some folks in France are suggesting a boycott over this one. Personally I think the female image on the stamp is absolutely gorgeous.
I was also curious over the denomination for this priority mail stamp. The value is "20g" on the stamp which to my uninformed mind makes no sense. As France is part of the EU, it would seem that this stamp value would be in euros or francs ( or parts thereof). Please enlighten me.

http://news.yahoo.com/french-stamp-...3029804.html
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have little information about the stamp itself, but in France the stamps marked 20g = maximum 20 grams of weight.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing wrong with that stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Controversy? What utter nonsense. I read about this in the paper this morning over my coffee.
Seems lately, some French folks are proving themselves much more prudish over certain subjects than I would have expected of them.
This from the people who gave the world a big green statue of a lady whose dress you could climb up underneath!
Valued Member
Hong Kong
77 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 168Bagua to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was gonna post this, but was busy... anyways I don't see whats wrong. Plus the non stamp enthusiasts wouldn't see the great detail without the magnifying glass.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize. I don't mean to jump on the entire population of France. It's my admiration for their 'continental' ideals that drives me crazy when I see a small group go on rabidly about 'what's best for everyone' (my words)

It is a small right wing group that calls for a boycott.

"The small, conservative Christian Democrat Party is calling for a boycott of the stamp. On their website and on Twitter, the party said the postal service should withdraw the stamp, saying it "insults the dignity of women, the sovereignty of France."

They should read their own history and visit their own art galleries. Marianne was often depicted topless. And me? I'm all for tradition!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't read the article, I just looked at the picture.

Now that I've read the article, it seems the objection may be more about choosing a Ukrainian activist as a model for the symbol of France, than simple prudishness.

Dunno...still like the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
2255 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like very much the stamp, it's a fine work of French cartoon-like design.
As for the oposition, do you know who invented the word "chauvinism"?...
Valued Member
Russian Federation
197 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CollGStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only looking at the stamps, without bothering to read the article, I can say that the stamp looks as garish as a graffitti on an old palace wall. Comparing to the classical dignity of older French stamps, it is something to feel sorry about.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose some people might see it as demeaning to women for other women to write on one of the most sacred parts of their body and display it as mere bilboard.

Others might see it as an attempt by certain men (male chauvinists) to encourage this kind of behavior, men who would be happy to see women expose themselves in public for their own enjoyment.

There, I have had my part as devil's advocate.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only looking at the stamps, without bothering to read the article, I can say that the stamp looks as garish as a graffitti on an old palace wall. Comparing to the classical dignity of older French stamps, it is something to feel sorry about.

It is a caricature. A jest.

It certainly lacks the beauty and grace of the French stamps I enjoy collecting.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Edited by smauggie - 07/17/2013 12:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2255 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see on the stamp anything offenssive for women dignity. In my view, most Western European people (other than catholic fanatics) will like it and consider a nice woman's portrait. Very much on the line of Delacroix's "Liberty leading people".
Althought, I know, views can be quite different on the other side of the Ocean.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You must be very careful with your language, Cursus. Some people might think that you just called all Catholics fanatical. That would be rather derrogatory.
Pillar Of The Community
2255 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not at all. I'm not meaning that "all Catholics are fanaticals". I'm a Catalan. Catalonia, has been a Catholic nation since the very begining of this religion. Saint Paul and Saint James are said to have been in my city, Barcelona (our earliest known bishop dates from 347 AD!).
I've been baptizied and gone through all Catholic sacraments. I've had a Catholic education and altouhgt I don't care for religion at all, I live on a Catholic environment. I've very close relatives who can be considered "open minded Catholics", while others are more like "fanatic Catholics". Our culture and society are Catholic and I like them very much.
But here, in Catalonia, you can freely speak about religion and, if you're polite, no one would feel offended. Our society is very tolerant, althought I know is not like this everywhere.
So I apologise if someone feels offended.
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterc4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Delacroix influence/homage.

Maybe the controversy is just viral marketing for the stamp launch. Generate news, generate page hits and hopefully generate sales?

Valued Member
392 Posts
Posted 07/17/2013   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lorddenning to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cursus

Readers of this forum may be interested in learning about "Caganers", a Catalan tradition.

"The Caganer was a obliged figure in the Christmas Cribs of the eighteenth century since at that time was believed that with his fertile depositions the soil of the crib will became rich and productive for the coming year! It was also believed that he would bring good health and calm to the body and the soul, which is necessary to do the crib with pride and happiness that Christmas brings at home. Putting this jolly little man in the crib used to bring luck and happiness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

Modern Caganers are hilarious:

http://www.caganer.com/index.php

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 3,894Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05