Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Most Recently Purchased Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 210
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6569 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog, please do not get discouraged? There will always be two sides to everything - one can not please all of the folks all the time. Keep up the good work

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
817 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep going, Rog. You've had quite a run of impressive acquisitions lately, and they're fun to see.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love seeing folks new acquisitions but even more so, I enjoy hearing about how and why they bought that particular copy or set.

Was it the grade or cert?
Is it an upgrade from a previous copy?
What were the compromises you might have made when buying this example?
Completing a set?
Completing a country?
Focusing on a particular area (e.g. "French Colonies")?
Found a great bargain?
Interesting things happen along the way to making the decision?
What was the most you were willing to pay for the stamp?
How will this purchase inform or influence the pursuit of other stamps on your want list?

It would be fun to have a thread showing beautiful examples of stamps. In this current thread, I hope to learn how my fellow collectors make decisions and how they FEEL about the material they've sourced.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1024 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog, I absolutely love seeing your new acquisitions. Coincidentally, I just acquired 304 & 307 myself. Think I might be willing to swap 307s but will definitely keep my 304.
John
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by shermae - 10/19/2019 4:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3271 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, postings of images with no explanatory text are usually of minimal value.

For example, in the early days of SCF, many topical area postings just show "a bird" or "a flower" with no accompanying text. Why did the poster bother to do this if it was not worth a few minutes of his/her time to put the image in context?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3717 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae and Bookbndrbob both have excellent points and it would be great for them to post a stamp or two to this thread as examples.

Shermae wrote:

"I love seeing folks new acquisitions but even more so, I enjoy hearing about how and why they bought that particular copy or set.

Was it the grade or cert?
Is it an upgrade from a previous copy?
What were the compromises you might have made when buying this example?
Completing a set?
Completing a country?
Focusing on a particular area (e.g. "French Colonies")?
Found a great bargain?
Interesting things happen along the way to making the decision?
What was the most you were willing to pay for the stamp?
How will this purchase inform or influence the pursuit of other stamps on your want list?

It would be fun to have a thread showing beautiful examples of stamps. In this current thread, I hope to learn how my fellow collectors make decisions and how they FEEL about the material they've sourced.
"

I look forward to seeing a post or two that follow these suggestions and answer these questions. They could set an excellent example to follow for the rest of us.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam, I love the 247 you posted. The engraver (and the great scan) seems to have captured through the smile and eyes some aspect of Franklin's personality I've not seen elsewhere but perhaps in a biography.

In today's mail I received a pair of United States #368.

Toward some of Shermae's queries....
Lacking any #368 I needed one, and for imperforates and coils I generally prefer pairs. Given this one would be at the top of an album page, above a #371 imperf with some selvage showing the BEP marking, and in turn above a #373 imperf pair, I reasoned that to look right, the #368 had to hold up so it definitely had to be a pair.

Didn't want to pay too much - who does -- but I wanted to get it done so I compared prices for pairs on Hipstamp and eBay for a few minutes and then went for a pair with good margins all round on Hipstamp. Less than some others I saw which had other aesthetic flaws in my eyes, so I thought I did okay. Most of the time I am purchaising in the F/VF area but in this case the grading by the seller was VF/XF, which I thought fair. It seemed nicer than others more expensive.

Nothing glorious like some of Rogdcam's exemplars, which I find inspiring actually, but it looks good on the album page.
Now I have to replace my used #367, a boyhood placeholder.
And I will want to address my lack of a #369 for which I see I need to familiarize myself with "bluish" paper -- color issues which command a premium get my antennae up....

edited to add grading info and correct a Scott #
Edited by jleb1979 - 10/19/2019 8:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3271 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam, you can look at my posts in many topical threads.
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This completes my 1c Washingtons until I find another variety. 525d. I think I have only one other straight-edge stamp in my main albums, but I made an exception for this one.

Edited by Philazilla - 10/19/2019 6:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DWI 7. These are hard to find. This is not an expensive stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3717 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jleb - What a beautiful pair! I always thought that Lincoln looked contemplative on that stamp. It is a relatively simple design that really lets the engravers art shine through. One of the best imho.

Bob - I will check out your posts. My posts in this thread were done out of the simple desire to share the stamps. The images of the stamps. I think that they are quite beautiful and I wanted people to follow my journey as I build my collection. I followed the KISS principle.

Shermae - I appreciate your desire to know more. Good stuff that. Truth be told it would actually be quite boring to go into what was behind each of my own purchases. I have a space to fill or an upgrade to make. Every stamp has at least one cert. The images speak for themselves I guess. I like well centered, fresh, fault free stamps and for used classics a good cancel is icing on the cake. So there you have it. All quite simple. I will keep posting my purchases, probably without the "feelings" part, and when time permits I might add the information that goes with each Scott number such as "Scott 45, the 24 cent blackish violet 1875 reprint of the 1857-60 issue, 479 sold, 1992 PF certificate. I probably will not do it for every stamp but I will likely do it for the scarcer ones. For the same series of some issues it might be seen as quite redundant.

Thank you to all for your constructive input. Happy stampin'!
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Penny Black pair with my initials. . .I collect US stamps, but I think a page on the first stamps ever won't be out of place. When I see a nice pair of 2p blues and early reds, I'll add them too - preferably with my initials!

Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hawaii 23. . .with a cert from the Hawaiian Philatelic Society.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3717 Posts
Posted 10/19/2019   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil - Great stamp. Ain't it the truth that cv can be no indicator of scarcity on the market. For the US it can be very difficult to find a true mint 208, Dull Rose in fault free condition. Another one is Scott 421 well centered and MNH or any E4 MNH. The catalog value belies how difficult these can be to find at times.
Page: of 210 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05