Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Most Recently Purchased Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 206
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5693 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a looker that one is Rogdcam, lovely stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam....a stunner?? CERT?? 98J??
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 523, Orange Red and Black, Unwatermarked, Perf 11, 1918 Issue

I never realized that this stamp was an error. From Siegel:

"The $2.00 and $5.00 1918 Issue are the first bicolored dollar denominated postage stamps issued by the United States. Both were released just three months after the famous 1918 24 Inverted Jenny, but the early printings were issued in small quantities, since stocks of the earlier $2.00 and $5.00 issues were still on hand.

According to Johl, the $2.00 Orange Red & Black was a color error on the part of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The official description and order for the bicolor stamps specified "Red and Black" for the $2.00. When subsequent printings appeared in 1920 and philatelists brought the matter to the attention of the Bureau, they were told "this stamp has always been this color" (Johl, p. 306). From studies of Bureau and Post Office records, it is clear that the originally intended color was not issued until November 1920 (Scott 547), and that the earlier Orange Red stamps were mistakes. The quantity issued has been variously estimated at between 47,000 and 68,000
"

Edited by rogdcam - 11/08/2019 09:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1023 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another perfectly centered vignette!
Valued Member
United States
26 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam, that is an impressive stamp (your 523). Wow!
The pressmen upped their game in the months following the C3 (what with all the fast Jennies, grounded Jennies, etc., not to mention the invert). That centering of the vignette is a wonder.

So from that perfection here is some post-production imperfection:
I offer a Sc. 397 I added recently as I replace used placeholders from long ago....

Fairly well centered and such, but what persuaded me to this particular example after the general curb appeal was the owner's mark stamped on the verso.
I'd known of them in the abstract, of course, but found I wanted this as an example -- just one -- of practices past, something of a conversation piece to have in the album. To judge from my comparison shopping with other MNH-OG, I believe the mark knocked 30% to 50% off the asking price.

I'm curious, of course, about who, where, and when, the owner with the horsehead emblem was, but my cursory searches have yielded nothing.
Do y'all try to avoid them or have you on occasion accepted them?
Edited by jleb1979 - 11/08/2019 6:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stamp Jleb! The owners mark would not bother me at all. I have an incredible 17 that was a third of the price because of an owners mark. I could care less.

The horse stamp looks like a chess piece?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jleb -Here is a 523 that I have at the other end of the vignette placement spectrum.

Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   04:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice PanPac, JLeb. So many classics have owner's marks on them. They don't bother me, either, assuming they don't show through. This is certainly up for debate, but I consider one on an otherwise NH stamp to make the stamp no longer NH. Yes, I know! TECHNICALLY, it has not been hinged. To me, NH means as it came from the PO. Weird, but I would consider gum skips or bends to be allowed (of course, they should be mentioned), but a gum disturbance or owner's mark to not be allowed in the NH definition. Of course, YMMV. Anyway, owner's marks are a great way to save a little money on great looking stamps.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 11/09/2019 04:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
1538 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collected for eye value. I have used stamps that have virtually no cancellation on the front. Also, the back of the stamp didn't matter to me, as long as the front of the stamps were well centered, whether used or new. Makes some stamp purists cringe I know, but it's all about what you can get and what you can afford.

My collection pleases me, I'm proud of it and that's all that matters.

-IBFS
All science is either Physics or Stamp Collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted 11/09/2019   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 232, Santa Maria-Flagship of Columbus, Green, Perf 12, Printed by the American Bank Note Company, Issued in 1893

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 215, Carmine, Perf 12, American Bank Note Company, 1888 Issue

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 224, Brown Red, Perf 12, American Bank Note Company, 1890 Issue

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3648 Posts
Posted Yesterday   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 9X1, Postmaster's Provisional, "ACM" Initials, Position 12, Unused

Page: of 206 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05