Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Most Recently Purchased Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 221
Pillar Of The Community
United States
508 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking stamp jleb
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
278 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the subject of scan colors --
Isn't the issue of getting the correct colour rather moot?
Even if your scan is 100% accurate, it can subsequently only be viewed on another computer screen, or printed out on a piece of paper, and this will re-introduce all the same variability you tried so hard to eliminate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1083 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb another perfectly centered 547 and with a perfectly centered vignette. Well done!
Added: Clearly I'm color blind, confusing 524 & 547.
Edited by JLLebbert - 01/11/2020 7:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4026 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stamp JLLebbert. Just beautiful.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1083 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam not sure which 524 I prefer, yours or Jonathan's. I have a well-centered copy myself, but not as good as the three recently shown here. In addition, Franklin's bust rides a bit high on mine. It's the vignette centering on yours & jleb's that impresses me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4026 Posts
Posted 01/13/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Unitrade 61, 1897 Jubilee Issue, Lake, Perf 12, Quantity Printed: 24,900

Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampboylife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USA Postal workers Scott 1498a
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
155 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the compliments on the 524.

Here is a US 561 which I just got to replace one that was poorly centered.

The color on this scan is pretty faithful to the original rose - rather a nice color.

Steevh -- I am not hoping to eliminate "all variability" in the imaging process, just trying to reduce the variability as much as I reasonably can. I acknowledge the other devices ( even your background lighting) can affect the rendition of colors although at least in my experience monitors are less troublesome and easier to adjust....

I laid my problem on the folks at Brother cause I have not found a way to do adjustment with the machine I have.... Other scans with it are fine - for instance the green and black 524 I posted or some blues earlier and even this rose. But the orange is awful, and it seems the problem is not unique. They also have not been able to provide a solution during my back and forth, so I may be out of luck on this. Aggravating 'cause I had an old Epson that was superb - except there were no drivers for it after I upgraded PCs about 6 years ago.

The other stamp in my shipment was a nice US 418, the 15 cent Franklin from the 1912 perf 12 series.

I do not have a #437 the 15 cent from the 1914 perf 10 series, but I do have a #514 from the 1917 perf 11 series, so of course I had to go look at that one to compare the grays. Oy - the 514 is way off to one side in a way I do not remember it being. It never ends....

- Jonathan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2362 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Aggravating 'cause I had an old Epson that was superb - except there were no drivers for it after I upgraded PCs about 6 years ago.

If the last time you looked for a driver for your Epson was six years ago, you may want to try another search.
Edited by littleriverphil - 01/16/2020 7:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
Posted 01/16/2020   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this stampless cover today, for my Denmark collection, sent from Copenhagen to Bordeaux in 1852. When I saw it on line offered by a Swedish dealer, something about the addressee rang a bell, and sure enough when I looked in my album, found that it was the same as an earlier stampless cover, from 1756 that was sent to the same company: Schroeder and Schyler. The earlier one is a complete folded letter, written in beautiful copperplate, and, apparently in German. I don't speak a word of it, but took it to a friend of mine who is German, and she told me she had trouble deciphering it because it's written in a very archaic style, but she thought it was an order for wine. I thought it was interesting to have two letters written nearly a hundred years apart and sent to the same place, and I became curious, and discovered to my amazement that Schroeder and Schyler are a wine merchant, founded in 1739, and who, today, in 2020 are still doing business under the same name. It occurred to me that in 1756 and again in 1852, it probably took a letter 2 or 3 weeks to travel from Copenhagen to Bordeaux. Today it would probably take 3 or 4 hours by air.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I received Scott 301c, 2 George Washington booklet pane of 6. There are no perforation separations and though it was described as lightly hinged, it appears never hinged as I cannot see a hinge mark on the back. I acquired it at a great price for the condition and centering and it looks great mounted next to the 1 Benjamin Franklin booklet pane of 6.

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org) Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Pillar Of The Community
2021 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Registered cover from Saint Moritz, Switzerland to Winterthur, bearing the full 1948 St. Moritz Olympic issue. Not a FDC, but it was mailed on the first day of the Winter Olympic Games.

Philatelic, but nice!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28420 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a lovely cover Cursus.
Personally I always have trouble with "Philatelic Cover"
If a collector takes the time to post a cover to a friend, and I have similar from Canada, the stamps are placed carefully, the Postmarks (if possible) are cleanly struck, and the cover addressed attractively.

I do that when I send freebies overseas, yet my covers are not really "Philatelic" in nature, they are carrying out a service.

If I had your cover, I would certainly feel it was of genuine usage.

I wonder where Philatelists draw the line?

Edited by rod222 - 01/18/2020 05:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5785 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a fine line. But the true barometer is whether it was sent to a normal person or was it prepared with a stamp(s) and address and sent through the mail delivery system for the sole purpose of creating a collectible item.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
434 Posts
Posted 01/18/2020   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 579 that I won/bought for an ultra low price. I am continuing to work on my US album.

Page: of 221 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05