Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Most Recently Purchased Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,394 / Views: 456,626Next Topic
Page: of 227
Valued Member
37 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add loverarestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jonathan, I am very impressed at your knowledge!!! I wish I had more time for further readings...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
37 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add loverarestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Won this one this morning:

France 3a

Google translate does a passable job... Reminds me of that line from "Babe": "That'll do pig, that'll do..."
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, loverarestamps, but I would never consider myself knowledgeable given the very real, very deep expertise of many collectors on this list.
I do take pleasure in burrowing into little subjects, though, and seeking out some resource(s) that can explain or provide more background for some of the great (and occasionally curious) stamps folks post here. The learning part of collecting has always been my favorite, followed by the aesthetic.
Edited by jleb1979 - 04/06/2020 3:32 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
354 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally found an affordable MNH plate block of the elusive $5 Minuteman US Savings stamp. This beast is HUGE.

Edited by uboatnut - 04/06/2020 4:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely stamps, these Parcel Posts, all MNH. Just got the 4c denomination today. Next up: (1) replace the reperfed 20c and (2) find a decent 50c specimen somewhere. The $1 denomination was a topic of discussion here: http://goscf.com/t/71536&whichpage=1#633462

Edited by BFRomeos - 04/09/2020 7:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BFRomeos,

Beautiful set, you're almost there! It took me a long time to find a nice looking 50¢ value, I watched and waited for several years (here's my set: http://scottsstampcollection.com/Vi...oll=3&Ser=34).

My advice is have patience and make a great choice as you have with the others.
Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org) Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5888 Posts
Posted 04/19/2020   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of auction wins. 1 piece left to complete the lovely Canadian scroll set.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3443 Posts
Posted 04/19/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples. I really like the 20 cent, Scott 157, with visible hairlines.
Valued Member
194 Posts
Posted 04/19/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian pictorials are the reason I originally got into collecting ... although not recently purchased, I always loved these designs and engraving detail ...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Continuing to add carefully to the Washington Franklins.
This one is the 1914 Sc. 407 perf 12, single line watermark.
The rich black of this design has a certain severe beauty to it I find.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5888 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scroll set completed.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
Posted 05/02/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My ongoing interest in production processes led me to recently acquire a block of the coil waste U.S. Scott 424 from 1914. A similar block of the coil waste 425 finally reached me last night after it took a circuitous two week journey of over 1000 miles around the country in disguise as USPS priority delivery. The dealer is about 100 miles from me as the crow flies.

The contrast of the bold "COIL STAMPS" labeling with the clear sheet nature of these blocks made for a nice page added to the old album. A lossy compression of my scan, but here they are side by side.

For convenience of reference for any unfamiliar with these, the BEP process for producing coil stamps before the advent of the Stickney rotary press in 1914 was for flat plate printing of sheets which were then perforated in either horizontal or vertical direction only, then sliced into strips of 10 or 20 stamps that were then glued together at the ends to form coils. The paste-up was at first manual (imagine!) then somewhat mechanical.

When the Stickney came online, some of these flat plate printed sheets were still stacked up bearing labels of their destiny as coil stamps (either Scott 410 or 412 for the one cent or 411 or 413 for the two cent) awaiting perforation, cutting, and paste-up. Rather than go through the laborious process to make these into coils, or pulp them, the PO had them perforated 10 in both directions and issued as conventional sheet stamps.

Edited by jleb1979 - 05/02/2020 12:11 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
233 Posts
Posted 05/02/2020   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb1979 what a beautiful set! I bet you are most happy...

I to love a bit of a block, speaking of which

todays happy things to look forward to is :

slowly slowly catches the monkey for me.. but I am happy with my acquisitions. one day I'll grow up and be a big girl with big girls blocks!

Edited by lostandfound - 05/02/2020 4:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2564 Posts
Posted 05/02/2020   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A decent strike of the Randolph Macon College, Va.

Edited by stampcrow - 05/02/2020 11:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1201 Posts
Posted 05/04/2020   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kansas Nebraska overprint set:

Robert
Page: of 227 Previous TopicReplies: 3,394 / Views: 456,626Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05