Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fiume 10 Filler Machine Made Overprint On Hungarian Stamps,

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Croatia (Local Name: Hrvatska)
19 Posts
Posted 08/17/2013   03:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rafi2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is a rare machine overprint specimen in catalogs Sassone and some other catalogs is written that is made of 50 pieces. But this is not true, most likely by some of my research was issued between 500 and 1000 pieces. The Italian Sassone catalog are being conducted under 8a.

Mandatory certification is required because there are many fakes on eBay 90% of this stamp is fake.

Fiume is a beautiful rare collectable area for the collection, but unfortunately there are a lot of counterfeits and even cheap stamps need to check.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
550 Posts
Posted 08/19/2013   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a very experienced collector, so I don't know much of this topic. What are "50 pieces"?

I've always wondered and wanted to own fakes, but I guess I am not supposed to say that, as "wanting" fakes would encourage others to MAKE more fakes? Does anyone have any to show? Do the fakes look just like the real stamps and are they hard to detect?

Thank you,
SueStamps
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 08/19/2013   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rafi2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This means that stamps made #8203;#8203;only 50 copies.It is very rare!

For each area there is a special literature that explains to some extent the difference between originals and forgeries. There are times that experienced philatelists write false certificates as forgeries were very well made#8203;#8203;.
Making forgery is criminal act the same as the forgey money.

On eBay 90% better overprint of Fiume are fakes and seller want 200-1000 US dollar for that.

sorry for my not good english!
Pillar Of The Community
Romania
886 Posts
Posted 08/19/2013   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wadmalatz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do the fakes look just like the real stamps and are they hard to detect?

I don`t know. But I was warned too that this area is a minefield. And I can`t even tell the difference bw. machine and handstamped overprints.

Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 08/19/2013   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rafi2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have 6 different type of handtamped and 2 type machine overprint. For recomande book Stamps of Fiume, author Ivan Martinaš, book ia also on Enghlish. Welll described forgey!

I have big collection of Fiume all with certificate and also thousend forgery :(
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
Posted 01/21/2018   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patrasf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting subject.Now are we talking about the fake overprint or forgery of the stamp?
Because for the stamp, is easy; watermark.I have seen one fake up to now, made in Romania.No watermark and the eagle on the background small and completely different.If you can provide me with the exact title and the publisher of your book here mentioned, I will try to find next summer as I'm from Romania my self and I stop to Budapest.
Thank you.And if any interest, I have one 10 Filler with wmk 210 RARE on eBay for sale: 132472950964.
Learn More...
6781 Posts
Posted 01/21/2018   10:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: this thread was bumped from several years ago.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4255 Posts
Posted 01/21/2018   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with collecting Fiume is very few collectors and dealers have a good source of reference material . I hope after I finish with Spanish Civil War material that I start on Fiume . I already picked up two collections on them and hope to get all the reference material needed and then sort it out the best I can to what is fake . On Fiume you can discount all the signed stuff because a lot of fake stuff is marked on the back with fake back stamping .
I purchase a few lots off eBay but I bought everything with the price factored as fakes . I done stuff many years ago and made some pages on stuff now I want to go back and check it all with reference material .
Edited by floortrader - 01/21/2018 11:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3132 Posts
Posted 09/17/2018   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just thought I would post a recent example in this thread. Most likely a forgery, due to the heavy inking.

See http://stampforgeries.com/forged-st...-overprints/

Anyway, it was inexpensive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Came across this one and was happy to find a forum discussion on the topic. This one was found today in a H.E. Harris & Co glassine from who knows when... Surely pre internet.

Edited by gettinold - 06/17/2019 2:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1479 Posts
Posted 06/17/2019   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The above 2f stamp does not appear to be genuine. Serifs are generally blunt all around. Tops of "F" and "M" look wrong.
See also:
http://stampforgeries.com/forged-st...-overprints/

The 40f above it is a forgery.
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/17/2019 3:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another dubious example

There are far more fakes out there than genuine...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4255 Posts
Posted 06/22/2019   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with Fiume forgeries is that there are over 20 different types of this overprint forgery ,showing one or two still doesn't elimate it as not a forgery .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 06/22/2019   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader

I agree with you that these are forgeries. Just so happen to be the only two I have come across in my collection. Both examples appear to be bogus and from what I've read most examples in the market are fakes. I wouldn't touch one of these without a cert.
Valued Member
Canada
362 Posts
Posted 06/23/2019   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read somewhere (can't recall now) that 80-90% of the overprints around are fake. I assume that the large majority of mine are bogus. A project for the future perhaps, to go through and try to figure that out.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05