Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Seeking Advice.....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,440Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 08/30/2013   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BL114 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

First time poster who knows nothing about stamps.... I'll explain, basically I'm not a stamp person, I collect coins and recently I went to an auction and bought a lot which contained coins (which is the think I wanted), but also included was a folder containing Canadian stamps (dating back to 1860's through to 1970's), I know nothing about stamps, as mentioned above my pleasure/curse( look at it how you will) are coins.

So Ideally if I can post some scans for you guys to look at and hopefully give me an idea of a fair price to let these go at (plan on letting these go to a collector at a fair price - on the basis I rather let them go to somebody that appreciates them).

I've taken the liberty an uploaded the first 2 scans for your opinions - Hopefully nobody will mind, if however I'm braking rules then please let me know.

Thanks BL.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4583 Posts
Posted 08/30/2013   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum BL114

The stamps you have scanned are nice ones although they are off centre somewhat and a few have heavy cancels.

Apart from that, these stamps are always popular and well sought after.

Considering the condition, and I am not aware if any have thins, you might want to ask about $15.00 for the lot. Some might pay more.

Hope this helps?

Chimo

Bujutsu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 08/30/2013   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BL114 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bujutsu, thanks for the feedback :-) I've actually got quite a few more stamps (probably about 100-150) ranging from 1880's Queen Victoria to 1970 Queen Elizabeth II, is it best to post them here or set up a photo hosting page and post the link for people to review.

Again thanks for the feedback its very much appreciated.

Thanks

BL
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 08/30/2013   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello BL114, welcome to Stamp Community!

Stamps are graded as to value by their physical condition and their look or eye-appeal.

Important is the centering of the design within the whole stamp, including perforations (wiggly edges). The perfs are important also.

Your Canada 1c rose Queen Victoia, Scott Catalogue (or a better one Unitrade Specialized Catalogue of Canadian Stamps, shows varieties) #14, frpom the Canada First Cents issue, would be probably graded as VG or Very Good or even Good, which is below Fine and Very Fine in value.

Probably about $10 asking price, maybe less.

A scan of the back is prefered, a check of the perforations to see which measurement it is, a cleaning in water, just soaking and then drying, no soap, would help the look of all the dirt around the edges. Water soaking will not hurt but help the stamp.

The bottom left corner might be bent, hard to see, the top left corner is missing.

The cancellatiion (cancel) or obliteration is light so the design below is visible. This helps the value.

If the back is damaged by a thin in the paper or a hole (possible at front of the Queen's tiara) then the price would drop again.

A reading of the front pages of the Unitrade or Scott as regards how a stamp is valued (at your locallibrary usually) is always recommended to halp you sell your stamps or value them. The more you know, the better off you are.

The other stamps, from the Queen Victoria Sma;; Queens issue, would also be graded at Good to Very Good, mostly because of the cantering being off. The 5c Grey possibly has a cut lower center so might be worth not much.

I like the strong colour on the 1c and 2c. On this whole issue there are many variations available as to different colors and different perfs varieties.

Becaue of the general centering and cancels and such I wouldn't value tehse as too expensive at all in today's market. Maybe a $1 or $2 each perhaps, depending on varieties.

But, checking around on here (SCF) and eBay and other sites , besides confusing anyone with the naming of colours, especially between Stan;ey Gibbons of Great Britain and Scott's of the USA (which Unitreade uses under lisence) will give you a much better idea of what colours are what and counting the perfs shown, if you do not have a perf guage, and looking the the front and back, and selling them with some idea of the value of their looks (for example the nice colours of the 1c and 2c) will probably give you a better chance at acjeiving a better price realized.

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 08/30/2013   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
is it best to post them here or set up a photo hosting page

It is OK to post them here.

Are you valuing them for your collection or insurance or to sell? If sell then as a lot or singly?

Cancels, well centered again and readable add something to the calue.
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted 08/30/2013   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BL114 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Puzzler, also big thanks to you for the replies - I though coins were bad! :-) TBH I'm just looking to sell these on as a lot to somebody who appreciates them, I love my coins and that's where my heart and knowledge are - As Danny Glover said in Lethal Weapon 1,2,3 & 4..... I'm too old for this! :-)

I'll go through tomorrow an post them up

Thanks

BL
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,440Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05