Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Postcard Like None I Have Ever Seen

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
USA
939 Posts
Posted 12/26/2008   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cimarron_Warrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ran across this postcard on Halloween before my incident and just had to have it because I had never seen one like it before. It has the Oklahoma State Flag on the front of it, but what makes it so different is that it is Copper.the card itself has a sheet of Copper with the Oklahoma state flag embosed into it and then the edges are folded tightly over the edge of the postcard. The back is typical card stock. The copper front has got several wrinkles in it which I don't know, but presume, maybe from waer and tear from poor care or if maybe they are typical of the manufactureing process. If anyone else has any like this I would really love to see them.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
USA
2864 Posts
Posted 12/26/2008   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great card! I have seen postcards made of leather but not copper!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 12/26/2008   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those post cards are from the days before machine handled mail. As long as it was no more than one ounce, and no matter what the shape, the USPOD would put it through their system and deliver it.

Once mail handling equipment came into general use, if a mail piece had to conform to specific sizes and shapes, and could not pose a hazard to the mail handling equipment.

Thank-you for sharing.

David
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2470 Posts
Posted 12/26/2008   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They appear to still be in business... though actual copper cards aren't mentioned.

Kopper Kard Co Inc
6060 S 300 W Ste 3
Salt Lake City, UT , 84107-6995
Phone: 801-264-8101

Products Description:

Engraving & embossing on postcards & greeting cards Letterpress or screen printing, Promotional or advertising printing, Publication printing, Stationery or business form printing, Wrap or tag or label or seal or bag printing, Security or financial instruments printing, Textile printing
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 12/26/2008   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How cool is that?!? A collection a state flag postcards with the state capitol's city postmark would be an awesome sight. I think I may have seen a tin type card before, but maybe I'm thinking of a Sarzen (sp) metal cacheted cover.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen wooden (paper birch with bark), leather and plastic but never a copper PC. Neat stuff!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05