Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ellen Clapsaddle's Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2649 Posts
Posted 09/06/2013   10:17 am  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a nifty little article regarding "Ellen Clapsaddle's postcards" over at Postcrossing. Don't know her? Once you look at her postcards, you will! She is attributed to creating over 3,000 designs during 1898 to 1915!

http://www.postcrossing.com/blog/20...-s-postcards
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
Posted 09/06/2013   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sirruspoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link. Some wonderful cards.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
542 Posts
Posted 09/07/2013   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zipper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks for the link! Her stuff is great.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1122 Posts
Posted 06/28/2014   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My one and only Ellen Clapsaddle postcard.

unused
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/28/2014   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A rather sad ending to her life, though:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...Rid=10158555

In particular read the sub-sections starting with World War I here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Clapsaddle
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Wikipedia article seems rather dodgy. Someone has entered all sorts of critical comments, questioning the accuracy of various statements, including the World War I period. Normally Wikipedia doesn't leave that sort internal argument unresolved, or at least inserts a note saying "this article needs a lot of work" or something like that.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Non Wiki accounts I have read support the WW1 period events, saying that after a six month search in Germany one of the Wolf brothers, her employers, found her and brought her back to the USA, and that the Wolf brothers cared for Ellen until she died in 1934.

Terry
Edited for clarity. TC.
Edited by Terence Collins - 08/24/2014 11:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
637 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know why she would not have been able to leave Germany in 1914 after the war started? She was a citizen of a neutral country and surely the travel routes to other neutral countries must have been open, i.e Switzerland or Sweden.

How was she able to find food and shelter for 4 years in Germany. Lots of food shortages, but I don't recall reading of much fighting or destruction in Germany proper during WW I. Seems that most fighting was in France and on the Eastern Front in Prussia.

Seems like critical parts of the story are missing.

Also sounds like a great story for a movie, except, perhaps, for it not ending well.

Don
Edited by DonSellos - 08/25/2014 07:45 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05