Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lava Soap Advertising Cover. New Purchase.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My new Advert cover. It's for Lava soap, has a cancel (I believe from 1908) & 2˘ postage due stamp. It was just an impulse buy and the price as right so I thought what's the harm? lol

Front:

Back:

Send note to Staff
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 09/10/2013 6:52 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
542 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zipper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4580 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cover ILS

They seemed to have had a lot of pride in their advert covers around the turn of the 19th century more so than we do now.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6267 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They were a lot cheaper to produce back then, and little advertising is sent through the mail now except for politicians and some local ads.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1158 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So cool.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ILS, Can't be a 1908 cancel. #332 didn't go on sale until November 1908. Probably a May, 1909 cancel. Still its a very nice multiple color advertising cover. I'd add it to my collection anytime
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 09/10/2013   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense. I couldn't make it out but thought 08 or 09. Thank you Al E. Gator.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/08/2014   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I should put this cover in the postmark calendar today!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 05/08/2014   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cover with contents weighed 2 ounces instead of one, hence the postage due. Yes, absolutely put it in the postmark calendar. :)
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4580 Posts
Posted 05/08/2014   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is by coincidence that this thread came up again. Just last night, I was at our local stamp club meeting and, I bought this cover that was in a small of covers.

This cover, among a few others made my night <G>

Chimo

Bujutsu

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6435 Posts
Posted 05/08/2014   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Bujutsu. Thanks for drawing my attention to this one. I like especially that it's addressed to 'Baby Reid'.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1132 Posts
Posted 05/08/2014   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are two groovy, nostalgic covers!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4580 Posts
Posted 05/09/2014   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all

As I get these every now and then, I will post them.

Nice to see you again at the auction last night jamesw.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2717 Posts
Posted 05/16/2014   3:56 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No way, LAVA is THAT old??? Nothing like washing up with PUMICE!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 05/16/2014   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is funny is that "lava" is Spanish for "wash".
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2717 Posts
Posted 05/16/2014   4:26 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
??? HA! Perhaps a little research into the Lava soap itself is needed here now!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05