Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poczta Polska Overprint On German Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
Posted 04/13/2009   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks warrehouse! That was some most helpful info. It was very confusing during that time in history, with changing governments and boundaries. I guess the postage is just an extention of it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2741 Posts
Posted 04/13/2009   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jdgarst0720, You are welcome! I'll be glad to asset you or anyone with questions like yours. Like I said "FUN STUFF!"
Valued Member
Netherlands
333 Posts
Posted 04/14/2009   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jan-Simon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jan-Simon the first stamps you posted are likely fantasies. The catalog I mentioned earlier, "Poland 1918 Locals" by J. Barefoot, indicates that there were no Polish eagles with and encircled overprinted on any of the Germania issues. The Polish eagles were applied to those stamps, but none were ever circled.

I know, got similar replies from other sources. Thank you for verifying it in the literature though!

Jan-Simon
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2741 Posts
Posted 04/14/2009   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This overprinted, surcharged stamp is difficult to identify in Scott. Can't find a listing for it. Any opinions on whether this is genuine?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1488 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is Michel or Fischer 13I or 13II: I is 3.25mm spacing between the upper 2 bars, II is 4mm spacing. Those two bars are the original (second) overprint (1918-19). The stamp in both types was then surcharged with the 25, "Poczta Polska" and two bottom bars. Michel notes forgeries but I suspect that applies to the inverted surcharges, since either type would probably sell for less than dollar despite eBay auctions offering it for more.
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/25/2019 5:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brasil

Thank you again. You are a wealth of information. I appreciate all your assistance. I have to get a Michel catalog.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1488 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An older Michel catalog will fill the bill, even one back in the 1990s. Poland is in the Eastern Europe catalog which may not coincide with everyone's view of what that area is supposed to be. The whole set is now 15 volumes. Germany is one volume and I believe still not duplicated by their Western Europe catalogs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05