Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

North Ingermanland

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 5,146Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
8 Posts
Posted 10/05/2013   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add phil49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
does anyone have information to identify North Ingermanland counterfeits?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3149 Posts
Posted 10/05/2013   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi phil49,

The most common forgery of each value of the second issue is shown and described along with the originals in Varro Tyler's "Focus on Forgeries".

This is a really useful book that covers more than 300 different forgeries, each with side by side photos of a forgery and an original stamp and guidance on looking for the key differences.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1241 Posts
Posted 10/05/2013   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try these sources:

The Work of Jean De Sperati by the British Philatelic Association 1955

Album Weeds by Rev. R. B. Earee

The Serrane Guide by Fernand Serrane

The Forged Stamps of all Countries by J. Dorn
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
544 Posts
Posted 10/05/2013   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try these sources:

The Work of Jean De Sperati by the British Philatelic Association 1955
Album Weeds by Rev. R. B. Earee
The Serrane Guide by Fernand Serrane
The Forged Stamps of all Countries by J. Dorn

Well, yes. But I anticipate the enquirer's follow-up question may be 'Where can I get a Serrane for under Ģ150 or a Sperati for under Ģ500?'
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3149 Posts
Posted 10/05/2013   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi phil49,

The last edition of "Album Weeds" was published before the North Ingermanland stamps were issued. However, I'd expect the Serrane Guide to help with these but I don't have a copy.

I've not seen any references to Sperati forging North Ingermanland stamps. Most of his forgeries were of nineteenth century stamps.

I don't know the Dorn book so can't comment on that one.

As well as the Varro Tyler reference I gave above I also use Dr Ceresa's "The Postage Stamps of Russia, 1917-1923" handbooks which describe three types of forgeries of the second issue.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Finland
751 Posts
Posted 10/06/2013   04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finnish stamp literature has quite a bit of these (as North Ingermanland, Aunus etc. are Finnish related territories). Likely the key source for the North Ingermanland stamps is "Pohjois- Inkeri Filateelinen tutkielma" (translates as North Ingermanland - a philatelic study) by Harry W. Walli. The booklet was published in 1943, and has about 30 pages.

Also the Finnish Philatelic Federation magazine "Filatelisti" has had several articles (based on Walli's work, as well as some new research) of North Ingermanland stamps and forgeries over the years.

Re, Serrane guide... The original French title is freely downloadable from French National Library http://gallica.bnf.fr (just search for author Fernand Serrane, do notice the original title was in 2 volumes and hence there are two separate files to download). If you can read french (or spend time with Google Translate), then you're going to have a real ball with it ;)

Varro Tylers "Focus on forgeries" is a really nice resource for worldwide collector. My only grief about it is "one forgery per stamp/series" philosophy (as most stamps have more than just one forgery out there). LOL.

-k-
Collecting the world 1840 to date one stamp at a time.
Author & owner of Stamp Collecting Blog
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 10/06/2013   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Serrane guide has been re-published by the APS; some years ago. I have a copy and did not pay the US equivalent of UK L150.
Valued Member
Sweden
15 Posts
Posted 05/15/2015   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magnus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello!
Visit this very god site:
http://www.jaysmith.com/Lists/North...d-Issue.html
Regards
Magnus
Pillar Of The Community
1447 Posts
Posted 05/15/2015   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For a nice comparison review of genuines vs forgeries of North Ingermanland, see....

http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.co...manland.html

Of course, I might be biased.
Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Valued Member
Sweden
15 Posts
Posted 05/16/2015   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Magnus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jkjblue
Yes, of course!
Should have remembered your eminent descriptions. Itīs usually one of my source when searching information.
Keep up the splendid work.
Pillar Of The Community
1447 Posts
Posted 05/16/2015   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Magnus!
Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Edited by Jkjblue - 05/16/2015 3:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5966 Posts
Posted 05/16/2015   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my forgery collection .

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/27/2017   03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My Forgeries:

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 05/27/2018   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumped thread.

Sc#2 1920

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thread Bumped Dormant 4 Years

10, 25, and 50 pennia.
Unusual Coat of Arms.

Edited by rod222 - 07/01/2022 09:50 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 5,146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05