Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Submarine On Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 10/07/2013   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add March to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The first country to issue a submarine stamp had no submarines in service, although it did have one boat on order from the Italian Naval Shipyard at Fiume (now Rijeka, Croatia). On Oct. 14, 1936, Romania issued a stamp on the occasion of its first naval exhibition (Prima Expozitie Marinareasca) showing a submarine identified as Delfinul (Dolphin) operating in rough seas.

http://www.public.navy.mil/subfor/u...bStamps.html

The cancel with date 25 OCT 36 , was used during the "First Naval Exibition" ( Prima Expozitie Marinareasca) of Romania , held in Bucuresti
Send note to Staff
Edited by March - 10/07/2013 4:18 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4569 Posts
Posted 10/07/2013   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting March.

The Marine Exposition cancel sure adds to it as well.

Nice article in the url too.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1158 Posts
Posted 10/07/2013   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. I need to get an example of that stamp for my collection.

Robert
Valued Member
133 Posts
Posted 10/07/2013   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CindyCan2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a nice cinderella stamp issued by the Canadian firm of Brandram-Henderson Ltd (paint & varnish manufacturer) about 1915. The stamp shows the submarines HMCS CC-1 and CC-2, which were acquired by the Canadian navy from the Seattle Construction and Drydock Company in 1914. They were later scrapped in 1920. These, along with the HMCS Niobe and HMCS Rainbow, both acquired from Britain, were Canada's first modern warships.

Edited by CindyCan2 - 10/09/2013 4:37 pm
Valued Member
Russian Federation
495 Posts
Posted 10/08/2013   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first Russian submarine, was built in 1834 by Konstantin Shilder.

Edited by Alexey - 10/08/2013 01:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4569 Posts
Posted 10/08/2013   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is working into a great topic.

That is a lovely Cinderella CindyCan2. The stamps Alexey shows are very interesting and colourful too.

I was sorting through one of my boxes of foreign covers and came across this one from France. It isn't a military sub but, I guess it can fit into this thread (?)

Regarding the first Canadian Navy subs, I have these postcards and show them here exactly as they are on my pages from my albums with my write-ups etc. I also have old postcard scenes of the RCN's HMCS "Nairobi" and HMCS "Rainbow"

Chimo

Bujutsu

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4569 Posts
Posted 10/08/2013   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Between 1973 and 1974, there was a man in West Germany offering U-Boat covers with their cachets to collectors who wanted them, as they were being launched.

I asked for some and got the following covers. I show one full cover and the rest with the cachets only. Also have Shown an "IBRA '73 stamp show label that was on the back of the first cover I received for those of you who like show labels <G>.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 10/08/2013   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maximum Cards with 2 submarines

France : first French submarine with nuclear propulsion LE REDDOUTABLE ( S611) .
Special FDI postmark with the occasion of submarine's main engine testing : 25 OCT 1969 CHERBOURG ( Cherbourg is the port where the submarine was built)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redoutable_(S_611)

US : OHIO-Class Trident submarine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio-class_submarine

Postmark : GROTON CT MAR 27 2000

Groton is the Naval Submarine Base in New London

Edited by March - 10/08/2013 2:49 pm
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 10/09/2013   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The First Submarine Stamp Issued to Raise Money

It has become common for small countries to issue stamps honouring other countries' submarines in the hope of raising money from stamp collectors. However, the first country to issue stamps for this purpose had a sizable undersea fleet of its own.

When the Spanish Civil War broke out in 1936, Spain's Republican government kept the Nationalist rebels from seizing any of Spain's 12 submarines. Nevertheless, with German and Italian help, the Nationalists gradually wore down Republican forces both at sea and on land. In 1938, with the Republican government desperately short of funds, someone came up with idea of instituting a special submarine mail service called Correo Submarino, whose unique stamps could be sold as souvenirs.

The Nationalists had clamped a naval and air blockade on Minorca, the only Spanish Mediterranean island still in Republican hands. Submarine C-4, then operating between the Republican-held cities of Barcelona and Cartagena, was assigned to deliver the Correo Submarino to the Minorcan port of Mahon.

C-4 left Barcelona on the morning of Aug. 12, 1938 carrying souvenir postcards and postal covers (souvenir envelopes) plus a number of regular letters to Republican naval personnel at Mahon. All of the mail bore the new stamps, the postmark "Primer Correo Submarino Barcelona-Mahon" and the date 11/agosto/1938. Ironically, C-4 carried the submarine mail to Minorca mostly on the surface, only submerging briefly to avoid enemy aircraft and patrol boats outside the port of Mahon. On the return voyage, she carried mail with the same postmark but dated 13/agosto/1938—even though she did not actually leave Mahon until after dark on Aug. 17.

Unfortunately for the Republicans, the single voyage of the short-lived Correo Submarino raised little revenue. Not until long after the Spanish Republic finally collapsed in 1939 did these rare stamps finally begin to command high prices from collectors and postal history buffs
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 10/09/2013   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I surprised no one has yet shown the Yellow Submarine from the Beatles yet? It is afterall on a stamp. Just a thought.
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 11/07/2013   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Poland : the submarine "ORZEL"( 1938)
http://www.ask.com/wiki/ORP_Orze%C5...n&ap=ask.com

Special cancellation "MARFIL" ( Maritime Philatelic Exhibition)
GDYNIA 18.07.74

Monaco : first atomic US submarine "NAUTILUS" ( 1955), and the Fulton's sketch of a submarine with name "Nautilus" (1800) which is considered to be the first practical submarine
postmark : MONACO - MUSEE OCEANOGRAPHIQUE 12.12.62

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Na...us_(SSN-571)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautil...0_submarine)
Edited by March - 11/07/2013 08:24 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05