Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Military Related And Comical Post Cards.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up few post cards yesterday at a little mom & pop antique shop. There was a few shoe-boxes just crammed packed with this stuff so I only got to go through a few hundred. I chose a few that I thought was endearing and military related (like Free Franking, APO's and military themed pictures) and even a few for my most recent area of interest hometown collection of Clearfield,Pennsylvania. So there is a Hodge-podge of stuff. I scanned a few.

The Bears: "Stuck again!"

Front:

Back:

In Bed: "Won't you join us?"

Front:

Back:

I call this one "The Old Geezer"

Front:

Back: Free Franked & Army examiner stamped- military related

"Watching Navel Maneuvers!"

Front:

Back:

"Uptown movie theater"

Front:

Back: Free Franked, Battle Creek Michigan 1942 CDS

"EE-YOW! Another Flat~"

Front:

Back: Free Franked, Abilene Texas 1942 CDS

Then there is this one that is sort of both chilling and proplexing to me. It's a birth announcement embossed card with a swastika on it and made in New York city? It must have been made just before hostilities broke out is all I can figure?

Front:

Back: The hand writing reads- "George Light Millersburg, From Howard Bauman" United Art Publishing Company, New York City. Split

back card.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Then there is this one that is sort of both chilling and proplexing to me. It's a birth announcement embossed card with a swastika on it and made in New York city? It must have been made just before hostilities broke out is all I can figure?

This completed eBay listing suggests that the "To Darling Baby" postcard was from 1908 (even though the title of the listing says 1909, the postmark is 1908), back when the symbol had a "good luck" meaning and, of course, well before the negative connotation of the swastika was used in Hitler's Germany:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/To-Darling-...047675.l2557

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   06:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll also add these two.

The mule barometer:

Front:

Back:

Front: "Shadows that pass in the night"

Back: Free Franked, Camp Butner, N.C. 1943 CDS

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you WT1. That makes me feel a little better about it. I didn't realize that card was that early? Thank you. -Jeff
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4576 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting thread here. As stated previously, the swastika was a 'good luck' symbol. It was also a symbol used often by our own North American Indian and in ancient time is parts of Asia. It is unfortunate that the Nazis had to make it the symbol of tyranny and violence.

I have several cards of Canada and the United States with the swastika from the time of WW I and prior to it as well.

I have scanned an example from my collection.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow neat card! I was just discussing something simiilar with one of my "real life friends" recently. Wasn't there one or two Canadian towns with the name swastika or it being involved somehow? I seem to remember an earlier thread on this topic?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wasn't there one or two Canadian towns with the name swastika or it being involved somehow?

You're probably referring to Swastika, Ontario as shown below. There was even a post office there at one time. That would be an interesting postmark to seek out!

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 11/02/2013   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sure would! Yes I believe that was what I was thinking of but just couldn't re-call exactly what or where. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1122 Posts
Posted 11/03/2013   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! What a great group of cards.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4576 Posts
Posted 11/03/2013   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1 beat me to the punch.

To the best of my understanding, the Swastika post office is still open (?)

The town (now city) of Kitchener was once called Berlin, but after WW I it changed its' name. I am really surprised that Swastika did not change.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/04/2013   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the Swastika issue, here's an interesting picture from a hotel postcard from Raton, New Mexico using that name:

And a modern news article explaining the name and -- eventually -- the name change because of world tensions:

http://www.stpns.net/view_article.h...662105436825
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 12/08/2013   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd feel a little funny about about trusting my delicates to this business...

Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
Posted 12/16/2013   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlawson281 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Abilene TX & Battle Creek MI Cards. The Abilene TX card since I "stole" my wife from the boys at Dyess AFB TX when I was stationed at Goodfellow AFB TX (San Angelo TX) and the Battle Creek card 'cause I just do, and FT Custer is where my mortal remains will be buried. (maybe)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
870 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more swastika postcard and then a comical Charlie Chaplin card with a war reference to get the topic back on track.

Edited by GregAlex - 05/17/2016 3:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember living in London Ontario many years ago, and the old building across the street from my bank had a swastika created in the brickwork in the upper corner of the facade. I though it odd (the owner had painted over, which only brought more attention to it, of course), but considering the age of the building, I know now that it was for luck, not world domination.

And of course Chaplin's movie, the Great Dictator, was a masterpiece that should be seen by everyone. I hear even Hitler had a copy.
Edited by jamesw - 05/17/2016 3:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
870 Posts
Posted 05/17/2016   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In it's original context as a sign of luck, the swastika was usually tipped on point. When the Nazis came along they squared it off.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05