Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Quiz- 1c 1857 Franklin Id, Prize For The Correct Answer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 4,733Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   11:12 am  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add ray.mac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First of all, when I bid on this stamp, I ID'd it incorrectly. This should be a nice test for the US Classic lovers out there, and for anyone who would like to try.

Also, please explain your reason for what you think this stamp is, if you can.

First correct answer that does not come from Sinclair2000, Al E. Gator, or Art Launier, wins your choice of either #5 6c blocks (zip, mail early),or a set of 3 fancy cancelled #65, 3c 1861's:

Good Luck-- Ray
Send note to Staff
Edited by ray.mac - 11/09/2013 11:13 am

Rest in Peace
Australia
631 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add huckles888 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I reckon its a type III as the curved lines outside of the label "ONE CENT" appears to be broken in the middle
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   12:24 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was a Type III....and I was wrong.....but a good try...

HINT...better than a Type III......and it's great that one of our Aussie friends sent this in....thanks much!

I don't know if you follow Australian basketball, but I learned this week that an old high school friend of mine died--- Ian Davies. My best friend back home, is the person who beat out Ian for the freshman team-- he was an amazing person and an amazing basketball player.

Ray
Edited by ray.mac - 11/09/2013 12:28 pm
Rest in Peace
Australia
631 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add huckles888 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ray - missed by that much - have made it easier for everyone else - being someone who is a bit height challenged I was not into basketball and the name doesnt ring a bell (rugby league was more my game when I was younger)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   1:09 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ian led the Olympics in scoring in 1980 for Australia, was from Tasmania, and moved to Illinois in the 5th grade.....was a pretty big name in Australia in the early 80's.....thanks again!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not an expert by any means. Since we have already eliminated a Type III, and Ray.Mac has stated that is is "better", then we'll have to look for something of higher value, won't we? Type IIIa doesn't really gain us anything. So, by process of elimination, I'll go with Type III, 99R2, which I have no clue how to identify, but should get some browny points for trying.

(Love to learn more about this stamp, though.)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Partime, but it isn't a type III, and 99R2 is known as the "finest example" of a Type III.

This one is fairly difficult, but doable.....

And I did mislead you...it is NOT better than a Type III, but certain positions of this stamp would be better. There are a few different positions for this stamp, and this is one of the positions that is not as high of CV as the others.

HINT..... look at the very bottom of the stamp......
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ray,
Can I give a hint?
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hints would definitely help. I'm not savvy enough to look for recuttings or specific double or triple transfers. I also don't think I see any of the various curls over the letters. I CAN tell you that it isn't on a cover, and it probably doesn't have any gum ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also sure the 1858 year date cancel gives is a bit of extra value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, how about a Type 1c? The balls are not quite so clear on the bottom, and the scrolls are ALMOST complete. I think that the broken bottom curve could be just some scraping or plate damage. Scott 19b? Probably plate position 49L4.
Edited by Partime - 11/09/2013 5:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1093 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   6:02 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, I see you received an email from Mr Sinclair-- who by the way is one of the best and has helped a lot of us.

It is 49L4. Winston plated it and then made my day when after outbidding me decided he didn't want it because of a tiny fault.

So, email me your addresd and I'll get something out in the mail.

It was advertized as a 22 and I thought it was a 21 Type III. I didn't even look at the full scroll on the lower left, which is the giveaway. It is one of the lesser quality examples of Type Ic, I'm sure because the scroll is so faint. Nonetheless, a 19b.

Thanks to all and thanks to Winston.

Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Email sent, and details on how I figured the plate number. (No email from Sinclair, BTW) Quite easy, when you know the trick ...

Thanks for making my Saturday interesting.
Edited by Partime - 11/09/2013 6:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2501 Posts
Posted 11/09/2013   6:47 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ray,

Your welcome. Not bad for a faulty stamp eh?
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 4,733Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05