Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Global And Domestic US Postal Rates: What A Bargain.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 4,336Next Topic  

3 Posts
Posted 11/18/2013   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JimBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently had to send a letter to Spain. It only cost me $1.10 USD. What a bargain it is to be able to send a letter anywhere in the world so cheaply. And, for less than 50 cents, you can send one anywhere in the US. I can't think of a better bargain anywhere.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 11/18/2013   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah? Fine for letters, but try ordering a Scott Classic catalogue from the US for delivery to the UK and see what the shipping charges are. $79 for a 2012 Scott Classic and $69 shipping. Like buying two catalogues near enough.

Terry
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Terence Collins - 11/18/2013 12:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 11/18/2013   12:50 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS international letter rates are still quite affordable. Anything 3.5oz. or less and within certain size and thickness restrictions fall into this grouping. However, if a letter is greater than 3.5 oz. or it's too thick or the envelope is too large and too inflexible than it has to be sent parcel rate which can start at $9.45 for the 4oz. rate, $12.75 for anything 5oz. to 8oz. or $14.90 for anything from 90z. to 12oz.

Those are rates for places like the U.K., Europe, Australia and the like. It's a bit less for Latin America, Africa and parts of Asia. It's cheaper also for Canada ($2.00 for 3.5oz. rate jumps to $7.35 for the 4oz. rate), but still the parcel rates more than doubled since last January. You can still mail larger envelopes greater than 6" x 9" in size via the large flats rate which is not as high as parcel rates, but you can't mail it with very stiff cardboard. It has to be within the flexible regulations of the USPS to qualify. Those recent changes has made it harder to sell larger items like catalogue as Terence has encountered, large cover lots, large kiloware and the like. USPS doesn't have surface mail anymore for quite awhile so there's no other options.

And if you live outside of the U.S. and you're buying an item on eBay, watch out for the Global Shipping Program unless you really want to see some high shipping rates coupled with higher than average customs fees even on items that do not require them. Since the hikes this year, I've found it cheaper to mail a buyer's items in two or more shipments rather than one. I never had to do that before.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terry: be careful when quoting S&H rates as USPS rates. Most commercial entities rake the customer for S&H considerably above the actual USPS rate. Get a hold of a current USPS rate chart (USPS.COM) and look @ the pound rate & zone. It will almost every time be less than the charged S&H rate the shipper is demanding.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi eligies,

That was the USPS rate. I also checked one yesterday on the USPS site. For a 3.5 lb catalogue from the US in one of their boxes and it was $89 to UK. If I was posting the same catalogue from the UK to the USA by Royal Mail it would cost $28.00. Probably using the same aeroplane.

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   7:10 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terry,
A 3 lb, 8ox. package from the U.S. to the U.K. is $35.25 for the International 1st Class Airmail (a bit cheaper if a shipping label is printed online). The trick is: do not use the priority mail boxes. Use a plain box (recycled Amazon.com boxes do nicely). If someone charged you $89, you got ripped off.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe, but $89 is what is showing on the USPS site. No option shows for using own box. I am in the UK so I have no control over what type of box the US seller is using. How can I find out what shipping costs are from US for sellers using own box?. And no, I did not pay the ripoff $89. All help with this appreciated.

Terry

Edited by Terence Collins - 11/21/2013 8:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 11/22/2013   05:59 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terry,
When I use the USPS, I typed in the weight as used above (3 lb, 8 oz.) and I selected "package" (don't select any of the flat rate boxes). The USPS site likes to show the GXG and priority mail express options first - ignore these. Click on the lower bar labeled "First-Class International Options". It should expand and you'll see the other option with the $35.25 price. You can always ask a seller if they would use this cheaper option.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 11/22/2013   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Battlestamps,

Thank you. That info is most helpful and very much appreciated.

Terry
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 4,336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05