Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perfins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 6,266Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamp dazed to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Quick question are perfins worth more than regular canceled stamps? I've done little to no research on them .do they have a separate catalogue numbers ? if so where can I find said numbers ?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1849 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin504 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
quickly....no
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7720 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi stamp dazed. The answer to the first part of your question is not easy. The second part is easier, yes there are catalogs and other literature. Go to www.perfins.org and you will find all sorts of info!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It probably all depends on the perfin. Just like normal cancelled stamps, the cancellation present could have a dramatic effect on value. I'm assuming there are also perfins out there that add tremendous value to what might be considered a common stamp. However, a valuable stamp with a common perfin is probably looked at as inferior. Like they say.......It's all in the eyes of the beholder!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One has to first determine if you desire to collect US Perfins or perfins from other countries. It used to be that perfins were considered damaged stamps and suggested to be virtually worthless by most collectors. In more recent times, the respectability of collecting perfins has met with considerable interest, which, in turn, has shown that many desirable perfins do command some value -- some a significant value.

The perfins.org link provided in an earlier post is certainly a good reference. In fact, excerpted from the article contained in that website is the following system used by many collectors as to how US perfins are rated:

Value is always subjective based upon what a buyer will pay and what a seller will accept for a given item. Scarcity, condition, and stamp issue upon which the perfin is applied are all factors in determining value, based on the above rating system. Of course, like any other stamp, if a collector has a specific desire for a certain item, they will often pay a premium for it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 11/21/2013   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp dazed: To answer your first part: Depends on the issuing country, the issued pattern rarity factor, and the common variety of stamp the Perfin is setting upon. On US stamps, Perfins are rated between a "F" grade up to an "A" grade pattern (for a total of 6 different grades). If an E or higher rating item is on a VERY common stamp, the value if the common stamp is exceeded. If the pattern is on a higher valued stamp, the price of the Perfin will lower the stamp price and often exceed the actual rating value of the Perfin.
If the Perfin is on a complete envelope cover, the price of the Perfin is most always placed in a "more valuable" category.

The price of a Perfin is also changed by the country selling the item. Example, a US perfin will always go for less money in the US than say anywhere in the EU region. It is all supply and demand. Generally, the pricing of any countries stamp goes for less in the US than in the country of foreign origin. This also includes foreign material selling within the US for some reason.

Pricing is also most always higher than the true value of an item is on eBay offers.

The second part: There are catalogs of most all Countries issuing Perfins. Most are expensive items and are issued by organizations around the world. If you plan on getting into the collecting of Perfins seriously, I would consider joining the group in your country (or others) that specialize in Perfins as the catalog prices are usually reduced to members. The US has a great group, the "Perfins Club" and the link was in earlier reply to you.

Hope this helps.
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 11/22/2013   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp dazed to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks gang you all have been immensely helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
620 Posts
Posted 11/22/2013   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pjsstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Once upon a time, my Dad would drop me off at Hamernick's stamp shop when he had to work for a few hours on a Saturday. I would look to fill the holes in my album and after hours of looking I would spend a few bucks. Ray noticed that I often picked the perfins out of his penny box. He viewed them as damaged and thought they all devalued the stamps. After that he often would give me a glassine of perfins when I went into his shop and usually said "Here are more of those damaged stamps you like". I learned a lot from the dealers of my youth, but I did not listen to Ray when he called perfins trash. Some of those perfins have good value these days. The books I have on them are all old and have been out of print for many years, but they at least give an indication of scarcity.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 11/24/2013   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PatricioJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perfin covers are great fun for the historical stationery with old logotypes, etc. I look forward to a day when I can actually sit down to identify and catalogue my loose US, UK, CA perfins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 6,266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05