Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are These 'Stamps' On A GB Sheet Called?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 5,193Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pennine56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I'm fairly new to collecting and perhaps someone could clarify what these type of 'stamps' seen on some GB issues are formally called. They are perforated and directly attached to the valued postage stamp. Are they cinderellas, commemorative label, smilers or other?

In particular, would these 'stamps' 'count' in a formal thematic list and have a catalogue number if eg in the example enclosed I was collecting Darwin related stamps.

Thanks for any help.

regards
David

Send note to Staff
Edited by pennine56 - 12/06/2013 08:41 am

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's called a souvenir sheet. Would certainly count in a thematic collection. The labels attached to the stamp go by varying names, depending who you talk to, and those are often mentioned in catalogues relating to the stamp they are attached to. They have been discussed on the forum as 'future cinderellas'.
As for catalogue numbers for the entire sheet, I don't know about that. There may be a book that lists them. Our real experts can tell you.
And welcome to the forum.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1354 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calling them "labels" is appropriate. If I had a Charles Darwin thematic collection, I would include your sheet in it.

Regards, Robert

P.S. I think the item depicted is a full sheet (or pane) of stamps, larger than a typical souvenir sheet. Is it possible to show the entire sheet? There should be 10 or 20 stamp/label combinations on the entire sheet.
Edited by Trainwreck - 12/06/2013 09:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1694 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The terminology used by Stanley Gibbons is "se-tenant labels" but have no separate SG number. Any SG number would refer to the booklet pane or miniature sheet.
Detached from the actual stamp they would become "cinderella" I presume but naming would be whatever you want.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennine56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

Many thanks for the valuable replies. Yes, it was a 10 stamp sheet and enclose the full scan below. This series was a limited edition of 10000 with each being individually numbered but not sure if this is typical.

The dealers I've seen selling it refer to the sheet as Commemorative Sheet CS6 so probably the formal catalogue number.

It is stiffened with an attractive card with info and illustrations both sides on the sheet theme.

with regards
David

Edited by pennine56 - 12/06/2013 10:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice sheet to have in any collection.

Not that you were thinking along these lines... but from a financial point of view, when the phrase "limited" is physically printed on the item, it usually means a "limited" number of philatelist will consider it to have any true premium. That's because more often than not, it is merely a sales gimmick. There are some exceptions, of course. Which is why the general market determines the true value, not what the printer decides to call it.

Again, very nice sheet!
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1694 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the "proper" name for sheets like those is Customised (UK spelling) Stamp Sheets and are sheets of stamps provided for either a company or an organisation to use for commemorating an event etc.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is listed by Gibbons as CSS006, issued on 7th October 2009.
Limited Edition means very little these days. The item in question is still on sale from RM as are most other Commemorative sheets.

As Scotzm has already stated, this is a sheet of first Class stamps with Se-Tenant Labels.

For me, it's just another way for RM to make a few bucks from collectors. They don't have a clue.

Londonbus1
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Londonbus1. Royal mail manufactured "collectors' items" and poorly designed stuff at that.

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
6190 Posts
Posted 12/06/2013   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Londonbus1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I agree with Terence Collins....a very poorly designed piece of work. [they should feel ashamed].

Still Mr.Collins, eating a banana with a nice English cuppa is a bit odd too........

Londonbus1.....Pics coming soon !
Valued Member
United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted 12/07/2013   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norvic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The correct terminology for these sheets of 10 as sold by Royal Mail is 'Commemorative Sheets'. When originally issued this one was very popular with UC alumni.

Unlike Generic Smilers Sheets they are sold at a significant premium over face, ie currently £14.95 against £6.

This page on RM's website shows what is produced:
http://shop.royalmail.com/products/...icat/cat198/

Commemorative Sheets - by Royal Mail sold by them direct

Business Customised Sheets - commissioned by dealers, companies, organisations (eg British Legion, Cancer Research) and produced by RM for a variable price dependent on quantity ordered. Sold new by some dealers for £25-£50, sold by Westminster Collection for British Legion for little over face (when I last bought one from them it was £4.95)

What they describe on that page as 'Souvenir Sheets' are ordinary Generic Smilers Sheets, the collector version of personalisable Smilers Sheets. Almost all teh stamps in these sheets have been available for customisation (except the current Christmas £1.88 stamp which is in the Generic but not in the customisable range). The title and description are wrong of course because the Christmas stamps don't contain 20 x 1st class stamps.

Not to be confused with Miniature Sheets or what the Americans call Souvenir Sheets.

Full details of A4 sheets of stamps sold in the UK can be found on http://www.smilers-info.com/

Valued Member
United Kingdom
7 Posts
Posted 12/07/2013   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norvic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what makes it 'poorly designed' ?

It shows the Cambridge University skyline, and each label shows something of significance to the University, over the centuries, with an explantion alongside (which is more than you get onthe average stamp issue!)

But I agree that they are 'a very bad thing'. When the first one was produced they were announced as being for events/anniversaries which "didn't make it into the stamp programme" - another set of stamps would have been cheaper for the completists. As it is hardly any serious collectors buy them but they are widely collected by people interested in the topic.

I think Business Customised Sheets are worse - an absolute abomination! Anybdoy who wants a Dr Who/Elvis/Michael Jackson poster, can buy one without including stamps which are totally irrelevant.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Posted 12/07/2013   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennine56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Many thanks for the additional info' on this type of sheet, Se-Tenants and opinions on where these sheets stand in philately. I agree they are pricey although picked mine up on the web for a fraction of typical main dealer price.

This particular sheet appealed as was looking for examples of a narrow thematic yet to get into double figures with examples and this provided an example (the iconic photo of Crick and Watson next to their DNA model).

regards
David
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 12/10/2013   05:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No mention of Rosalind Franklin and her work on DNA, which Crick and Watson are alleged to have used without acknowledgement.

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 12/10/2013   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Norvic,

For the labels the poor design lies in the easy reliance on photograph/type composition which places little reliance on design input. Pick a photograph, crop it, drop in some type and the queen's head, and add a single colour on some to break the monotony. Job done. As for the stamps, they are even worse examples of this cheap 'easy design' option. These are the perfect example of why I gave up collecting GB stamps years ago. Any first year graphic design degree student could have done a much better job.

Terry

Edit for omission and typo.
Edited by Terence Collins - 12/10/2013 05:32 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 5,193Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05