Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acetone And Scotch Tape

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,112Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

Canada
106 Posts
Posted 12/30/2013   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stray Feathers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I read with interest (and a little hope) the thread about using acetone to remove old scotch tape adhesive and stains. I have some old US stamps (nos 7, 13 and 17 I believe) with unfortunate tape stains. I tried Ronsonol with a little success. I may try acetone but am aware how potent it is. Can anyone tell me anything about the durability of the inks in these older US stamps? Most of the stamps also have pen cancels (Xs) and I wonder also about whether acetone will attack those?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Posted 12/30/2013   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone will destroy them very quickly. It's used to remove paints and such, so you could imagine how long ink would hold up. I tried it years ago on all different types of stamps and even in small portions, it eats the ink, cancels etc. right up and bleeds heavily. Maybe someone has figured out a way to use it more effectively. Gary
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 12/31/2013   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To the best of my knowledge, tape stains will never come out. The tape itself will usually come off with lighter fluid, but the stains are permanent.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3726 Posts
Posted 12/31/2013   04:17 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 12/31/2013   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 12/31/2013   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There has been some success with removing the tape stains... a couple of years ago there was a very long thread about this.
But it is hard..

Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
Posted 12/31/2013   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DuncanDoenitz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone definitely attacks the ink on older engraved US stamps. It would dissolve any adhesive residue, too, but not necessarily stains. From my limited experience with it, the tape stains are so resistant that if acetone did actually have any beneficial effect, it would have already damaged the stamp ink as well.

A collector could dilute the acetone (I'm thinking a combination of acetone and naphtha) but I suppose that would just slow down the process.

Acetone is dangerous. It passes easily through your skin and into your body.
Valued Member
Canada
106 Posts
Posted 12/31/2013   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stray Feathers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for comments. I approached this problem with the same resignation some of you have expressed - not much hope. Then I read the thread referred to which has some remarkably successful-looking results (and a few caveats):

http://goscf.com/t/10035

So it got me thinking about trying it, but I don't want to risk further damaging old stamps that may retain some value even if tape-stained. So I am wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with acetone on old inks. All of the stamps are imperf, and two are pairs, so I could risk damaging the worst stamp of a pair, or are pairs worth way more than two singles?
Valued Member
358 Posts
Posted 12/31/2013   9:18 pm  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience with acetone has been hit and miss. I've used it to remove or at least lighten pen or owners marks on older stamps, some of which were 19th century and the stamp ink was fine. You won't know though until you try.

Matt
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 01/01/2014   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redbus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone didn't do well for me in removing the tape stains. The ink started to smeared. I don't use it anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 01/03/2014   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My experiment with the acetone was a dismal failure but I have not given up. I'd scan it except it tore in two.
Tom
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 01/03/2014   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For your information Walmart carries the large size (12 ounce) lighter fluid for $1.97. It surprised me how reasonable it was.
Tom
Valued Member
Canada
242 Posts
Posted 01/03/2014   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Faken to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to suggest Goo be gone, which is amazing for this very purpose, but the problem is that I believe it is oil based so it would permanently darken/stain the stamp the same way it would it you dropped some oil on a piece of paper. Maybe if you immediately soak it in dish detergent and warm water afterwards, but I can't imagine a stamp surviving that kind of abuse.
Please check out my eBay Auctions! http://stores.ebay.com/danrichard-stamps
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1597 Posts
Posted 01/04/2014   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up a bottle of 100% acetone today to give this a shot.

Here's my first test with before / after pics:

not perfect but a major improvement

thanks for the tips!
Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 01/04/2014   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would be interested to hear how you went about the process Mike, ie: Did you just soak the stamps in an open dish of acetone? While not perfect, it is a significant improvement on the before photos and would be much more pleasing to view in an album.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1597 Posts
Posted 01/05/2014   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I soaked them in a glass bowl for about 3-4 minutes and then let them sit in a bath of water for about 15.

Here's another batch this morning.

[/URL]

Mixed results with this set...
Edited by Mike33 - 01/06/2014 06:21 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,112Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05