Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acetone And Scotch Tape

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,118Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
80 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess to follow your opinion, anyone who ever soaked a stamp off of an envelope in tap water would need to disclose that it has been subjected to a chemical since a lot of places have highly chlorinated or other chemically treated water. After all chlorine is a bleach and could attack the ink or the paper just like Acetone, only a little slower. So in that vain, any used stamp not on its original envelope must be considered a restored stamp. I wonder how the stamp community would react to such a statement.

Good thing the art community doesn't follow this thinking about conservation vs. restoration. We wouldn't be able to see a lot of the masterpieces.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is not what I said and taking the discussion to reductio ad absurdum is not helping anything.

Would you want to buy a stamp that had been restored without disclosure?
Don

Edit: If you had a nice bronze sculpture, dusting it with a rag is fine. But whipping out the polish and you are making changes that impact its value. If you own a rare original vintage car, you would want to keep it in its original condition and not restore it if you want to maintain its value. yes, you could do a frame off restoration, and probably make owning the care more enjoyable, but you then would not offer it for sale as an original car.
Valued Member
Canada
80 Posts
Posted 10/13/2020   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have your opinion and I have mine.

Regarding "reductio ad absurdum", you started that by comparing my mention of library books dealing with cleaning soiled stamps to books dealing with bomb making, and furthermore that stamps that have had their watermarks checked should be declared as chemically restored when selling. In my opinion both are absurd and not helping with the topic of what can be done to remove or clean tape residue. I am obviously not the only person who has encountered this problem and this topic should be informative as to what people have tried; what works and what doesn't; and finally did it have a negative affect on the stamp or not.

Regarding your question if I would want to buy a stamp that has been restored without disclosure my answer is - it depends. If the restoration involved reperfing, regumming, adding a perfin, or altering it to a more expensive stamp, the answer is No. However, if the stamp has been subjected to a watermark fluid or soaked in a fluid to remove a stain without affecting the original appearance or colour of the stamp then the answer is I wouldn't expct that to be disclosed.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 8,118Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05