Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maximaphily

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 134 / Views: 34,317Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 06/04/2015   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US Lighthouses (II)

The Biloxi Lighthouse was erected in 1848 and was one of the first cast-iron lighthouses in the South. It is the city's signature landmark and has become a post-Katrina symbol of the city's resolve and resilience
http://www.biloxi.ms.us/visitor-inf.../lighthouse/

Postmark : First Day of Issue, July 23 2009, Biloxi MS

Boston Light is a lighthouse located on Little Brewster Island in outer Boston Harbor, Massachusetts. The first lighthouse to be built on the site dates back to 1716, and was the first lighthouse to be built in what is now the United States. The current lighthouse dates from 1783, is the second oldest working lighthouse in the US (after Sandy Hook Lighthouse in New Jersey), and was the only lighthouse to still be actively staffed by the United States Coast Guard,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Light

Postmark : First Day of Issue , July 13 2013 , Boston MA
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by March - 06/04/2015 09:17 am
Valued Member
Romania
302 Posts
Posted 06/24/2015   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add March to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US Lighthouses (III)

Point Judith Lighthouse and Coast Guard Station Rhode Island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Judith_Light

http://www.uscg.mil/d1/stapointjudith/

Postmark : Narragansett RI July 12 2013 - First Day of Issue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narra...Rhode_Island
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 11/29/2015   04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
March - those lighthouse maxi cards are very appealing - thanks for showing. I have many non-maxi lighthouse including Biloxi, but must look out for some of the maxi LH
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 11/29/2015   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
March
As you are in Romania you may like this one.
Unfortunately I dont have the complete set.

Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 11/29/2015   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would be interested to know if there are any maximaphily cards featuring the Douglas DC-3 aircraft. Extending my collection of information/material on this specific aircraft. Thanks,
Allen
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 12/02/2015   04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Allen - check Delcampe they have one available for $6

SWEDEN 2001 - STAMP ON MAXIMUM CARD -OFFICIAL FDC ISSUE OF THE SWEDISH POST OFFICE

http://www.delcampe.net/item.php?id...3edb97b951d6
Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 12/02/2015   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bas, that is helpful. Allen
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 12/02/2015   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Allen,

How many stamps have a DC-3 on them? Were you a DC-3 pilot?
Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 12/03/2015   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dsmith426,
Thanks for the message. The DC3 is just an aircraft that I have a soft spot for it having been the major aircraft of NAC (now Air NZ) that I grew up with. Had a flight to the South Island of NZ as a school class when I was 11years old. It has been used in almost every role that an aircraft can be used including top dressing,(that is crop dusting to some)ambulance, freighters, as float planes and on skis, you name it. Two were even converted to gliders with engines removed.
At one point (1994) it was the most depicted aircraft on stamps although this statistic may have changed now with the plethora of stamps featuring the Wright Bros issued to mark the Centenary of Flight. I don't have specific numbers at this point but have collected a large quantity myself along with much supporting information and memorabilia.
Amazing to think that there are still many flying in different parts of the world today and the rebuilds of them into the Basler configuration is testament to their ruggedness.
I am working on an expanded exhibit of three frames (48 pages) which is why I need even more material. Unfortunately that particular Maximum card had been sold.
Kind regards
Allen
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
900 Posts
Posted 12/03/2015   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Allen

Try here - you might get one - 5 different maxi-cards and more besides

http://www.delcampe.net/items?langu...anslate%5D=N

Edited by Bas S Warwick - 12/03/2015 04:03 am
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 12/03/2015   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Allen,

Were the DC-3s still in use by airlines in the 1940s-1950s? or had they already moved on to newer planes? I have a large amount of large vintage airlines advertising (circa 1946-1959) that I have packed away in storage. If I remember correctly, many show planes. Just not sure what planes but assume they were the current ones in use. (These are not covers, but vintage advertising)
Edited by dsmith426 - 12/03/2015 4:27 pm
Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 12/03/2015   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bas for that link. A few to choose from there. Postage makes for an expensive item but worth it for a prized piece.
Yes, dsmith426, DC3's became the aircraft of choice for many airlines. In fact within six years from manufacture, the DC3 was used in 80% of all domestic services around the world. The Douglas company had difficulty in keeping up with the demand.
Interesting, too, that Chatham Air (an island off the coast of NZ) has brought a DC3 to Auckland and is offering a weekend excursion Auckland to Whakatane, about a 30 minute flight, over the summer months. We have a couple of other DC3s still flying in the country.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 03/25/2016   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Celebrating the terrific service enjoyed in the trenches.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
2223 Posts
Posted 04/10/2016   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Barcelona Modern Art Museum (Richard Meier, 1995)

Valued Member
New Zealand
195 Posts
Posted 04/12/2016   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teals1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has taken a while but I received this French postcard today for my DC3 collection. Like it as it features a number of different things such as the DC3 being used as a mail plane, the postage stamp used features the beginning of lighted runways, it was issued on 21 March 1959 for "Stamp Day", and of course was cancelled with a DC3 postmark.

Interesting that this stamp was again issued, with slight variation, on 9 May 1964 for the 25th anniversary of the first night airmail service.

Thanks to all who helped me in obtaining this interesting postcard.

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 134 / Views: 34,317Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05