Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Giori - De La Rue - Koenig & Bauer  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
522 Posts
Posted 02/12/2014   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More about the Jumelle can be read in the excellent series of Dummy Stamps by Glenn Morgan:

Quote:

I am advised that the Jumelle: "...was in fact a much smarter machine than those in your magazine. It consisted of seven photogravure units plus one recess (intaglio) unit which had three inking units (for three different colours of ink on the same design). It had a rotary perforator at each end, together with a sheeter and an unwind reel-stand also at each end. The machine drive could be split at any point along the line of gravure units so it could run 2 colours (1 colour definitive + phosphor) at one end at the same time as up to 4 colours + phosphor + 3 colours of intaglio at the other end. It could do reel to sheet at both ends and reel to reel (for definitives to be inserted into books) by running from one end to the other. Each gravure unit had electrostatic assist to aid ink transfer and reduce 'speckle', a common fault with low pressure gravure units. Each gravure unit had its own drier, as did the intaglio unit. The machine was designed and supplied by De La Rue-Giori and assembled by Koenig & Bauer at their factory at Wurtzburg in Germany. The gravure units were supplied to them by Andriotti of Ciprano, Italy. (Koenig & Bauer now own DLR-Giori). "

Dummy Stamps - Issue 13 - Q2 2009 - Page 4
© Glenn H Morgan FRPSL

I hope Glenn will add more to this!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2328 Posts
Posted 02/12/2014   05:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is the 1961 booklet and it does mention some printing problems and errors.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4109 Posts
Posted 02/14/2014   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the first Argentinian stamp printed by the Giori
press as mentioned in the first post of this thread.

I was just going through the Collecting by Engravers thread and
saw this beautiful nethryk scan of Argentina Scott 585.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4109 Posts
Posted 11/28/2014   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Florian posted in another thread the following.

Quote:

As for presses used for the production of engraved stamps, so far we have mentioned Stickneys, WIFAGs, Goebels, Koenig & Bauers, Gioris (using three inking units), and S.T.I.F.s (using four inking units), comparing their produce, and now we come to Chambons, which we mistook for Giori presses

There is always the mention of Giori presses yet the fact is that the actual presses where manufactured
by Koenig & Bauer based on the Giori process.

From KBA-NotaSys SA http://www.kba-notasys.com/company/history/

Quote:
In 1952, Organisation Giori signed a co-operation agreement with Koenig & Bauer entrusting them with the production of the security printing machines.

See the first post in this thread also and look what
name is on the press.

Edited by lithograving - 11/28/2014 5:11 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
235 Posts
Posted 05/11/2015   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if anyone can please tell me where this dummy stamp might have been printed? Logic says maybe Lausanne, home to DLRG, but the designer and engraver are, I understand, Austrian or maybe German.

The Dummy Stamp
Designer:Konrad Gessner.
Engraver:Alfred Fischer.
Printer:Unknown.
Issued: Circa 1968, apparently (not confirmed).
Process:Direct and indirect* intaglio.
Press:A DLRG intaglio press.
* Also known as offset intaglio due to the use of a blanket to temporarily hold inks before transferring them to the substrate

I have identified the design as being a woodblock entitled "St Christopher Carrying the Infant Jesus", by Albrecht Durer in 1511.

Any help whatsoever appreciated! And does anyone know of any other DLRG dummy designs, please?

GLENN

Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
508 Posts
Posted 05/12/2015   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
65170 - Glenn, trying to help and using my basic German, this is what I have managed to Google:

http://www.kosel.com/de/lx/G/index.htm
Gessner, Prof. Karl Österreichischer Briefmarkenkünstler, geboren am 31. Mai 1909 in Wien.

http://www.peter-diem.at/History/briefmarken.htm
Offenbar war es also bisher nur Vorarlberg, das sein Landeswappen auf keiner eigenen Marke vorfinden kann. Doch das Ländle mag sich trösten: zusammen mit den Wappen aller anderen Bundesländer erscheint das Montfort'sche Banner richtig dargestellt im Gedenkblock "1000 Jahre Österreich", der am 25. Oktober 1976 ausgegeben wurde. An der Zeichnung der Landeswappen und des Bundeswappens von Karl Gessner, einem Lithographieexperten der Staatsdruckerei, der schon die FIS-Serie 1936 nach Fotos geschaffen hatte, ist nichts auszusetzen.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briefm...rnement_1942
600 Jahre Stadt Lublin Entwurf K. Gessner

http://austria-forum.org/af/Wissens..._Bodenkultur
Das vorliegende Markenmotiv zeigt das anläßlich der Hundertjahrfeier entstandene viergeteilte Wappen der Hochschule. Es wurde von Karl Geßner, einem Grafiker der Staatsdruckerei, geschaffen.

Prof. Karl Gessner also designed a number of stamps for Liechtenstein, such as the 30 Rp. 1973 Madonna, 10 Fr. 1974 Duke & Duchess, 1 Fr. 1977 Rubens, printed by Österreichische Staatsdruckerei, Wien combining photogravure/engraving.

Prof. Alfred Fischer (1926 - )

http://goscf.com/t/9106&whichpage=28#154815
lithograving's post of 07/26/2011 3:00 pm
Alfred Fischer's first engraved stamp was issued in 1965 and his last in 1980. In between he did some fine work.

http://www.kosel.com/de/lx/S/ Kosel - Lexikon für Sammler
Headword:
Sinawehl, Peter Peter Sinawehl wurde 1948 in Wien geboren und besuchte die graphische Berufsschule als Lithograph. Seit 1963 ist er in der Österreichischen Staatsdruckerei als Wertzeichenlithograph tätig, wo er bei Prof. Alfred Fischer sämliche Techniken von Albrecht Dürer bis Alois Senefelder erlernte. ...

So much so far if this can be of any help to you.

Edited by florian - 05/12/2015 07:30 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
235 Posts
Posted 05/14/2015   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Florian: Many thanks for the time that you spent on my query. I am a big fan of Alfred Fischer's work.

I wonder whether the dummy stamp may be a production of the Staatsdruckerei, Austria? Although I have yet to ascertain whether they were a user of a DLRG supplied press. I understand that the Bureau of Engraving and Printing USA was the first to buy a DLRG press designed specifically for web-printing of postage stamps and that was around 1975, so perhaps the dealer-quoted date of c1968 is too early for the sample!

Right, am now off to London to see Martin Morck, the stamp engraver, at lunchtime today at Europhilex. GLENN
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
508 Posts
Posted 05/14/2015   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
65170 - Glenn, my pleasure.

lithograving's post of 11/30/2011 6:07 pm presents an image of a 1967 Austrian photogravure / recess stamp produced jointly by the designer Karl Gessner and the engraver Alfred Fischer. See http://goscf.com/t/20571&whichpage=2

Another design by Karl Gessner, based on Albrecht Dürer's work "Jesus as Redeemer", but engraved by A. Nefe, was produced by photogravure and engraving in 1971. See Stanley Gibbons AT 1629.

Have a great time at Europhilex.

Florian
Edited by florian - 05/14/2015 10:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
522 Posts
Posted 06/01/2015   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glenn,

this Austrian dummy stamp was printed by the "OeSd" in direct recess + photogravure!?

groetjes, Rein
Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1094 Posts
Posted 09/22/2016   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the late 50s the Chilean Mint acquired a De La Rue press-Giori process, mainly for the printing of banknotes.
But some stamps were printed with it too

Edited by jorgesurcl - 09/22/2016 3:12 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  Other of my grills, what can you tell me about this?
  Scott Pan Pacific #398 ~ *Amazing~JUMBO* ~ MNH
  KE VII Unitrade #90viii?
  PRC Stamps from 1949 to the late 1950's.
  Argentina 1884-85 12c - Is there a roulette imperf stamp? (May be misidentified)
  Argentina 1863 5c and 10c - Help Identifying Type?
  Antigua 1863-67 1p WM Star - Help identifying color?
  Help knowing the value of some stamps.
  Would this RW2 be graded 85 or above?
  Stanley Gibbons is back in the Auction business - see link below
  eBay Saved Searches eMail Updates
  Neato 1c Franklin Combo Pair--> 3L4 & 13L4
  Busted Up 10c Combo Pair--> 74L1 & 84L1
  Interesting Bread Loaf Cover
  Difference in CV between Scott and Stanley Gibbons
  FDC hidden in old collection! Interesting Addressee!
  Found a collection of state revenues (mainly TN, some TX/WA)
  190 Proof Alcohol Not Rare
  Need help identifying a cancel on a narcotic stamp
  So is this a 594 or 596 by chance
  First of my grills, Maybe a Z grill. Help.
  Can you help identify this red cancel?

Argentina 1884-85 12c - Is there a roulette imperf stamp? (May be misidentified)
  Stanley Gibbons is back in the Auction business - see link below
  KGV overprint N. W. Pacific Islands
  Hands On Stamps
  U.S. 606 used covers
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  Wet vs Dry Printed Postage Stamps
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  An overprint, Heavy cancel, and a unknown precancel. Oh my
  KE VII Unitrade #90viii?
  Camels on stamps?
  A part perf revenue stamp that was separated by Dracula
  How much does hipstamps charge for a sale?
  1934 National Parks Series and 1935 Farley Reprints
  FDC hidden in old collection! Interesting Addressee!
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Railway (Train) Stations on Stamps
  Anyone Doing the Same?
  Wiki'd Buildings on Stamps
  Show Your Newly Acquired Covers Here
  King George Hidden Date
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  The Stamps of Argentina : On Steiner Pages.
  My newly acquired Clipper covers!

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.6 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05