Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Find Of A Life Time...#32

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
108 Posts
Posted 10/20/2014   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fantail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rumour has it the the Brigham copy never reach the reserve and did not sell. A lot of stuff in that first auction didn't change hands because of the high reserves.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
1 Posts
Posted 10/21/2014   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lucy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may have # 4 Scott #32 2 cent Green Large Queen along with her surrounding sisters. Plz LMK if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 10/21/2014   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lucy:
If the paper looks like this, you might.
If it doesn't look like this, you have one of the "normal" versions of the stamp.

If the paper does look like this, contact the VG Greene Foundation. You can download an application to have them certify the stamp at their website: http://www.greenefoundation.ca/

Remember, rare and valuable stamps are just that - very rarely seen. Don't start planning your retirement.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1933 Posts
Posted 10/21/2014   3:47 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lucy, welcom to the forum. I apologize if you're already aware of this, but since you're new to the forum, we can't be sure how much knowledge about stamps you currently have. To add to chipg's comments, he's referring to the dark horizontal lines on the paper as viewed from the back of the stamp. If those lines are not there, you don't have #32. #32 is rare because it was printed on a different type of paper than other stamps that look identical at first glance. This paper is identified by the presence of those lines. Hope this makes sense.
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
Posted 03/01/2018   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add audetnelson1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow nice thread watermark and congrats on that !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1661 Posts
Posted 03/12/2018   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone who enjoys stamp collecting would enjoy this thread. I know I did. Congrats.
Pillar Of The Community
3006 Posts
Posted 03/18/2018   09:35 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not very often that this Canada # 32 stamp is directly offered for sale rather than auctioned. This looks like the Brigham copy.

Edited by jogil - 03/18/2018 09:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1270 Posts
Posted 03/19/2018   5:07 pm  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A testament to the fun (and profit) of going through "mission mixtures" - kilo lots - and circuit books. Only a very small % (IMHO) of collectors / dealers do a thorough examination of what they have and what they sell. I limit myself to evident varieties when I go through large buys - and I'm certain I miss a lot of stuff - nevertheless I have found a few things.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As per Wert's request I am bumping this for anyone interested in the Story...
Valued Member
108 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fantail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Brigham copy never sold, along with a number of other items, in his personal auctions. All the items had high reserves on them.
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I loved this tread.
And, I have memorized, " The Brigham copy never sold, along with a number of other items, in his personal auctions. All the items had high reserves on them."

Learn More...
7072 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   05:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like all things in life, there are two sides to every story and this thread does have a downside.

As someone who tries to reply to the 187,366 threads and help the inexperienced hobbyists think they have a rarity, I find that threads like this are not typically helpful. Threads like this encourages their 'I am now a millionaire' delusions and promotes 'treasure hunting' in our hobby. If we were gemologists would we promote rock collecting by encouraging inexperienced people to hunt for a Hope diamond level discovery in their back yard? Or would we promote the more attainable attributes?

For collectors who understand how to glean intrinsic value from the hobby, threads like this are fine. But unfortunately some of us end up investing literally hundreds of hours trying to direct na´ve collectors towards reasonable expectations. (Everyone is welcome to come help handle the flood of unrealistic expectations threads and figure out ways to convince folks who are absolutely positive that they have not found that one out of 4.5 billion stamps.)

Of course threads like this are positive feedback for reasonable folks (and I am truly happy for Watermark) but out of the seven pages only once in this thread (thank you Chip) has anyone tried to communicate to inexperienced collectors that the odds of this happening to them are much longer than winning a mega lottery. Philately has many rewards, rewards that we can honesty promote as being attainable by virtually anyone like learning history, studying other cultures, forming of new comradery with like-minded folks. If we were a forum about art collecting we would emphasis these same attributes but we would want to discourage people from joining the hobby in hopes that they will find a Rembrandt at a garage sale.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please note I made it very clear in my first few post on this topic just how rare this stamp is. " I never thought I would ever see this stamp variety let alone own one.", "This is the third reported copy" are two of my insertions. The stamps were printed in 1868/69 or so. Out of all the copies available only three being found on laid paper should tell any collector it is near impossible to find. I can't control people dreaming of finding another but just wished to share the find. My apology if this thread has offended anyone it was meant to be a positive report of a rare discovery and I emphasize the word "rare".

Mike
Learn More...
7072 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   08:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a question of 'offending' nor are you responsible for controlling other's people's misconceptions. I was merely pointing out that threads like these (this one has nearly 17,000 views) have a downside. I am also hoping that others will join me in helping with the flood of 'can I retire with this stamp I found' threads.

This is similar to fly-spec threads which can mislead inexperienced folks to think that they have found a million dollar 'error' stamp. And just like this one, they tend to get bumped for years, keeping the illusion of 'rare finds' alive. Folks seem to only remember these threads, they do not seem to remember the thousands of 'can I retire now?' threads.
Don

Edit; I would add that some of the misconceptions we deal with are heart breaking. Like a widow who wrote me hoping that a handful of 'old stamps' she was told might be rare would allow her to get the medical care she desperately needed.
At other times, we have receive death threats when people get angry when we try to tell them they do not have rare stamps. There a LOT of things that go down around here that are not seen by others.

Here is a post from yesterday from a new poster who has made three threads, all thinking he has a rarity.

Quote:
Well I made a mistake when I posted the first 2 pucks I should have used the orange background like I was supposed to seems like everyone is so fast to discredit a historical find like this maybe cause you don't have one or anything like it

Here in this community we get a thousands of threads like this fellow compared to less than five like this one. Part of this issue is that we have such a wide public audience. This is not like a local stamp club where you can tell a story to group of folks you know. This is more like standing in the public square in town and using a loud speaker to address half the towns folk.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6384 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My apology if this thread has offended anyone it was meant to be a positive report of a rare discovery and I emphasize the word "rare".

No apologizes necessary Mike..After all this is a stamp forum,

Meaning of a forum is...

Quote:
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

And that is what new stamp collectors should take advantage of..They are inexperienced and need guidance from the more experienced stamp collectors on this forum.

Ya, they may seem to be a pain to some people, but they are excited..if they have some thing, it is the responsibility of forum members to YA or NA their dreams.

Mikes find is the most important stamp find ever to be recognized on the forum ..at least the Canadian side and new people should have the opportunity to possibly have the same excitement in this great hobby.

Robert
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05