Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Find Of A Life Time...#32

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   09:26 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,
You missed my point completely. How about you join us in answering some of the new member posts over in the "Have You inherited Some Stamps? Start Here." section?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6385 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don...haha..That would probably drive me crazy
You have a hard job buddy, don't know if I could have your patients.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6452 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, patience is a virtue, hospitals are full of patients
Just kidding,

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6385 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Robert, patience is a virtue, hospitals are full of patients

Good one Petert4522

I do have patients...If I see a person struggling with stamp information and if I can help (not that I am an expert), I will try.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3010 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   4:45 pm  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread is very enjoyable since it is not very often that one can read something directly posted from a stamp expert who has made such a great Canada stamp discovery.
Edited by jogil - 08/18/2019 4:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have done my best to thoroughly explain and illustrate what a 2c LQ looks like and what to look for.

I have also replied to many of the people thinking they found one. Just yesterday I informed a poster that the stamp they had was not the right stamp for the variety. They had a 2c Small Queen instead of a Large Queen.

I also tried too be as informative as I could on how to identify a copy if another ever does turn up. Illustrations and descriptions are in previous posts.

The stamp is very rare on laid paper and if the printing was small the three reported copies maybe all that exist.

Hope this is understood by everyone reading this post.

Mike
Edited by watermark - 08/18/2019 8:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1259 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gilles le timbre to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been watching this tread, (and many more) and I have to admit that the Forum is an outstanding place for collectors, of all level (from potential collector who can find info, and advice, to the more expert ones, who continue to learn from peers). As a "knowledgeable Canada collector (I am no expert ..), I found many relevant treads, info on new stamps, discoveries, flyspecks, history of stamps, etc..., and the Watermark story on his finding is a fascinating one for any collector. Of course we would aspire to such a find, but the forum also helps identifying new interesting facts, and varieties, and most important, provides a place for conversation between philatelists of all levels. Studebaker, we really appreciate your support for the hobby, and the help you provide to all in managing the input and questions received. Most of us would not have the patience, nor the cautious balance required at time so we are grateful to you. This is certainly demonstrated by the continued number of posting and participation of an ever increasing member stamp collectors. (My 2 top priorities every morning is to check the weather, and check the SCF. Then my day can start.
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't collecting stamps in 2014, so I just read this thread with great interest for the first time. Great story and well done. Watermark has been very clear as to the characteristics and rarity of his find, to dampen undue excitement.

Certainly there's a constant stream of "I think I have the rarest copy of X" posts from relative newcomers that must get tiresome at times, but I'm impressed by the general patience and caution shown by those who respond to those posters. Particularly frequent in the US stamp forum it appears.

I must admit that when (re)starting stamp collecting I was prone to be overly optimistic - due to human nature and inexperience - about having the rarest variety of a stamp, before experience showed me just how rare that was. SCF has been fantastic in learning about stamps and hearing from other collectors - simply invaluable and for a new collector, a real find. Thank you.

Valued Member
266 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad Watermark shared his story. I was delighted to see a keen-eyed philatelist make an astonishing find.

I'd like to think such finds encourage collecting, that it is a combination of study, work and patience that results in once-in-a-lifetime finds.

Collectors already have "false hope", that is why they visit this site with questions. It is good when contributors can give advice here, but it is never an obligation.

Edited by archerg - 08/18/2019 9:18 pm
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   9:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...It is good when contributors can give advice here, but it is never an obligation...

I disagree with this. For myself, there is an obligation to do the job of Moderating well. If I sit silent with the thousands of the 'can I retire' threads, others tend to reply aggressively and sometimes even get snarky with the new members. I would rather be proactive and offer comments like "your stamps do not have a high market value, but they are a great start on a new hobby". This seems to limit the snarky replies.

This community has 'givers' and 'takers'; if everyone only 'takes' then the community will collapse very quickly. Of course contributing can be in several forms including donating money and getting a 'supporter' next to your name. For folks who do not or can not donate money they can certainly contribute by occasionally helping others or otherwise sharing knowledge.

As far as the 'takers' go, I do not care if they leave; they can go find another forum to only 'take' from. This community will thrive just fine without them.
Don
Valued Member
266 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, contributing will always be 100% my decision, never obligatory. There's a world full of people who might like to occupy my time, shame on me if I let them.

What I like about Watermark's story is this:

He's a knowledgeable, serious BNA collector who knew his area of study. He looked studiously for decades, and, when the extraordinary happened upon him, he was able to identify it and seize the moment. This is the dream of collecting coming true.

It is different from the "can I retire" posts of get-rich-quick crowd, who put zero effort into study and seek easy answers to lazy questions. So, aside from being frustrated, why bring it up in this thread.

That being said Don, I respect and admire your passion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also taken back by the every thread has two sides and one is negative. I thought it was a very out going and positive thread full of sharing and good conversation. This section in the thread really changed what I thought was a fun story about a tremendous discovery into a somewhat negative thing generating posts causing trouble for others...makes me wonder if I should participate further with the forum as apparently everything has two sides and one is very negative. I will think about this awhile.

Mike
Learn More...
7084 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   12:09 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I brought it up because I thought it important to inform some readers that finding a rarity is not to be expected. I am indeed frustrated now. Frustrated that twice in the last week to of my posts have been misunderstood.

First in the certification thread the other day I posted an opinion regarding catalog based pricing. My intent was to discuss the pros and cons of catalog pricing vs. the pros and cons of time/material pricing. Instead, people acted like I was being critical of VGG and start posting things like 'I think the VGG is doing a great job'.

In this thread I want to make sure people were aware that finding a rarity is not to be expected, that our hobby has other benefits that we can be sure are attainable by all hobbyists. But instead people posted things like 'I am glad that Watermark started this thread'. Watermark posted that he had offended me. These are indications that folks have misunderstood my posts.

Let me say this clearly. I did not say that Watermark offended anyone. I did not say that he should not have started this thread. I did not say that no one should start threads like this. Now it is being twisted into 'you sucked the fun out of this thread'.

I am 'allowed' to post opinions and I welcome opinions that are different than my own. But I am frustrated when people twist what I post into something that is not what I intended.

For the first time since I became a Mod I am thinking of throwing in the towel. The lack of tolerance for consideration to all sides of a topic is unbelievable.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6718 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watermark (Mike) mentioned in the OP that the stamp was rare. I made the 3rd post in this thread (and haven't posted since then until now), and pointed out that it was "very very rare". Since then, the rarity has been pointed out several times. Seasoned collectors recognize that the odds of finding such a rarity are less than "once in a lifetime". Nevertheless, there will always be more than few people who think every 10th stamp they examine is a rarity.

No-one doubts that Mike made it clear he unexpectedly found a rare stamp. We can try to temper expectations of beginners/non-collectors, but there will always be some who will remain fixated on "strike it rich" rather than philately. I read through Don's posts, and he specifically stated:

Quote:
Of course threads like this are positive feedback for reasonable folks (and I am truly happy for Watermark) but out of the seven pages only once in this thread (thank you Chip) has anyone tried to communicate to inexperienced collectors that the odds of this happening to them are much longer than winning a mega lottery.

It seemed to me that he was merely posting to address a possible deficiency in the thread and make a great thread even better. I don't think there was any intent to criticize the OP or the basic intent of the thread. If anyone read it differently, let's give Don the benefit of any doubt.

A lot of us don't realize what Don has to put up with. I've gotten targeted for giving the old "sorry, but your stamp is not rare nor particularly valuable, but it's still a nice stamp to have..." reply. Some people just think you are trying to rip them off. I can tell you that Don gets pestered far more, not just publicly in the forum, but also nasty/mocking harassing emails.

So please, let's all cut him some well-deserved slack and give him the benefit of any doubt/perceptions we may have gotten in this thread. He's done a lot in the background to protect a lot of us, without us evening knowing about it.

Thanks Mike, for starting/reviving a great thread. Thanks Don, for reminding us to enjoy collecting but to stay reasonable in our "hunting"...
Edited by khj - 08/19/2019 12:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
3010 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Don and Bobby for everything that you do for us on your Stamp Forum. Sometimes we take for granted all that is done to run this Stamp Forum that is available at our fingertips online and forget about all of the work that goes on in front and behind the scenes by you. Also, your website Stamp Smarter is a very valuable source of information on stamps that is greatly appreciated. Without Stamp Forum and Stamp Smarter, we would not have the online communication and information that we need. Thanks.
Edited by jogil - 08/19/2019 07:22 am
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05