Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Machin Security Stamps -solved!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/21/2014   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add David Y to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just removed two Machin security stamps (u-slot-kind) easily and safely. I used the product called "Walgreens lens cleaner for glass or plastic eyeglasses". It worked like a charm! Let it soak for a few minutes and peel off the stamp carefully from the top. Watch the back of the paper for a white spot and spray again until it mostly disappears. It contains isopropyl alcohol, and this might be the main catalyst. I also wonder if using rum or rye would work?Please pass this on to all the collectors who would need to know, but please wait until Tuesday. I want to buy shares of the company on Monday.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
Posted 02/21/2014   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rum and rye contain ethyl alcohol, not isopropyl alcohol. Rum and rye may be effective, but the solubility characteristics of ethyl alcohol vs. isopropyl alcohol are quite different and I would expect that using the former would not be as successful.

Donald
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
784 Posts
Posted 02/21/2014   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little rye every now-and-then always helps. HaHa!
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 02/21/2014   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does residue remaining behind after the use of ethyl alcohol affect the papers or inks of stamps?

Or of isopropyl alcohol even perhaps?
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/22/2014   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There seemed to be no real residue left after I carefully rubbled some paper residue off the back—no more than one sometimes sees after a water removal. Unfortunately there does seem to be some diminishing of postmarks etc. on the face of the stamp, so I put the spray only on the back. Still, the stamps seem to lose some of their lustre on removal of the paper which, perhaps, we are stuck with. Perhaps someone can come up with an even better method or removal. After damaging a few security stamps in experimentation, I felt like testing the other forms of alcohol on myself to assuage my frustration.
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/23/2014   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I mean "rubbed." Too much of any type of alcohol, I suppose.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1680 Posts
Posted 02/24/2014   02:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest leaving them on paper meantime... it can only be a matter of time before Stanley Gibbons follows Scott in cataloging used self-adhesives on piece (at least the one third two thirds regarded as not removable).
Edited by scotzm - 02/24/2014 07:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 02/24/2014   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Waste of <----> good rum and rye!

Terry
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3869 Posts
Posted 02/24/2014   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot help but think that rum would leave a sugaary residue that would be food for vermin.

Bought my first can of Pure Citrus, but still waiting for a Round Tuit.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 02/24/2014   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Hexane is the required active ingredient. Coleman fuel works well
Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 02/25/2014   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hexane? Are you referring to removing security stamps? If so, would hexane be sold in pharmacies?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 02/26/2014   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hexane makes up 60% of the composition of Coleman fuel. I'm not sure you can buy it on its own.

I can confirm it works well for removing security stamps e.g. Machins.

Here is an table of fuels that are available internationally and their makeup. We're interested in Col.3 http://fuel.papo-art.com/

Some info regarding working solvents for removing self adhesive stamps - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-adhesive_stamp

Singapore
1 Posts
Posted 10/27/2019   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add walnut2019 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Did you soak the stamp in a bowl of lens cleaner fluid or did you spray onto the stamp?

Are there more recent developments in techniques for removing security machins?

Regards
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05