Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Railway Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,354Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's a wrap. As always, it's a pleasure to be in the company of really knowledgeable folks. Thanks.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think we all enjoyed that journey,
well, I did.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
627 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am really sorry, but I am not convinced.

Deltic1575 could you post a picture of the Terneuzen cancellation that you mention.

My problem is that I cannot find any cancel simular to the one posted.

I am also as yet unable to find Terneuzen in a Railway cancel in general.

Kind regards,

Johan.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6832 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I agree with Johan. I am not convinced it is a Terneuzen cancel either . I can not find Deltic's cancels on Delcampe either - could you please post a link ?

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 04/29/2019 2:41 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

the first one that appeared on Delcampe
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6832 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Deltic, that convinced me. And I could not find it - but that is why we can post pictures and links.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6832 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, thank you also. I do know where Terneuzen is - back in the 60's I worked there several times. And my sister still lives right across the Westerschelde ( river ) from there. Years ago one had to take a ferryboat to get there from the rest of Holland but now there is a tunnel under the delta.

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter,
I kinda understand what's going on here with the Cancel hammer,
just a little quizzical about the country.
Terneuzen is quoted as being in Flanders not Holland, which would suggest a normal Belgian cancelling hammer.
Or am I misunderstanding this part of the border?

For my experience still seems a scarce cancel, dashed if I could find another on the internet, again, I wonder why we don't see more of these.
Perhaps "freight only" reduces examples, maybe the cards were thrown away after use.

Edited by rod222 - 04/29/2019 5:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4942 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod - your texts note that it's in the Netherlands - as it is.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6832 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, it is quite complicated. The area called "Flanders" or "Vlaanderen" in Dutch actually is located in three countries, though the majority is found in Belgium. A small part of France around Dunkirk ( Duinkerken in Dutch ) is part of historical Vlaanderen or Flanders and the south most part of Holland's province of Zeeland, Zeeuws Vlaanderen is the northern part of Vlaanderen. This all goes back to the Middle Ages when Flanders was still part of The Netherlands.
And I am not a history teacher as you can probably tell,

Peter

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 04/29/2019   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Pete.

Quote:
Rod - your texts note that it's in the Netherlands - as it is.

Right, here is where I read Flanders on a Dutch site.
(I vaguely recall a documentary years ago where a coffee shop was half in Holland and half in Belgium?)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 04/30/2019   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(I vaguely recall a documentary years ago where a coffee shop was half in Holland and half in Belgium?)

There is an area along the Netherlands/Belgium border where there are a number of enclaves, including enclaves within enclaves. I don't know the history how that came about but it must be interesting.

Robert
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Any suggestions as to what the text is in the bottom of the box at the top of the stamp that ends "YAG 2" ? Looking at stamps with cancellations Audenaerde I have not seen anything that matches
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 05/05/2019   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unable to answer question 1.
(I have VOYAGEURS in the lower box on some of mine )
Second : Variation of spelling AUDENARDE
(For some strange reason reminds me of Oxnard in the US)
Edited by rod222 - 05/05/2019 5:04 pm
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,354Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05