Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Railway Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a copyright notice on the album page: 2009, Talbot Alan Parker. Google finds only one 100% result, and that's from a voting registration in Jacksonville, Florida. Anyone have any info about this "album" or its producer? I'll continue to poke around.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
156 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Tohill2...

My efforts to identify a source for the Belgian railway stamp pages have thus far been unsuccessful. Like you, found the printed copyright potentially ties to an individual in JAX.

Email to Rail Philatelist (Colorado) bounced back. Link to American Belgian Philatelic Society jumps to APS site. Awaiting response to email to Belgian Philatelic Study Circle (UK).

The plot thickens.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6236 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Calstamp, can you Email "chasa" on he previous page ? Those look like nice pages

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
156 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Done.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
156 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Two Belgian railway publications, as listed on the Belgian Philatelic Study Circle website...

Railway parcel post cancellations of Belgium. Jones and Geake. 2003. 211 pgs. 20 GBP plus pp.

Winged wheel. Slabbinck. 113 pg.

What is SCF policy re citing web links?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
156 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Winged wheel. May be out of print. Beleive it is a availabe via APRL.

Contact attempted with individual cited as copyright holder on Belgian railway stamp pages.
Learn More...
6647 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   3:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is SCF policy re citing web links?

After member has 50+ posts, links are allowed if not endless spam or repetitive commercial promotion.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2334 Posts
Posted 05/25/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Talbot Alan Parker, is indeed the creator of the pages. The last I emailed him he suggested a new version of the album might be out sometime in the future. Although his album is a wonderful piece of work, there have been many new stations discovered since it publication. He keeps a spreadsheet of what he knows about. I would call him reclusive online. I bought my book, new, at a precancel meet - just a lucky catch... although having it has cost me many hours of digging and identifying. Also - the album only lists 'chamfered' rectangle cancels (a word unknown to me before this collection). I also have the Jones book on railway cancels but it covers all Belgian railway cancels and has very little about the chamfered varieties.
Edited by chasa - 05/25/2019 9:13 pm
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
Posted 05/29/2019   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SForgCa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A little story

No, not a proof or a forgery.
It was once listed in an early edition of the COB
I had a set of 10 values and for years could not ID them
About 3 years ago I got in touch with the railway stamp expert from the Belgium Study Circle.
He offered 2 explanations
1. The print office was unable to pay wages for some time so the workers sold un-perforated sheets to dealers as rare imperfs
2. The Germans were approaching the plant, everyone fled and some enterprising Germans confiscated the unfinished sheets and sold them.
Edited by SForgCa - 05/29/2019 9:43 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
239 Posts
Posted 06/01/2019   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr Posty just handed me this:

I must say, Nick Martin, the person I dealt with was very helpful even answering my initial enquiry on a Sunday.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted 06/02/2019   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nick is always very helpful and the Belgian Philatelic Study Circle is well worth joining
Valued Member
United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted 06/02/2019   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Galvanised into action by this thread I wrote to Nick to order a copy of the book and received a very friendly and chatty email back almost by return and he remembered that I'd been in touch before some considerable time ago!
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested in getting the Jones/Geake book, I've contacted Nick Martin at the Belgian Philatelic Study Circle, and here is what he sent me. I've obtained his permission to quote his response, and feel it might be of use to other forum members. The following is, indeed, quoted from his message:

Quote:
"Yes, we do still have copies of Tom Jones book (re-edited by Tony Geake). It's still the most thorough listing of Belgian railway cancellations, and indispensable to collectors of them. It is available to the USA for 25 (including postage) or its equivalent and I can get a copy off to you almost immediately. We've decided to make the cost inclusive of postage and not excluding it as advertised on our website. The current book we sell has been reprinted and costs have gone down slightly.

"For your information, the first of a series of new books on Belgian railway postmarks has just been published. The volume we have on the rectangular datestamps. It is very detailed and specialized, but I would recommend that you start with Jones. I don't know how you are collecting these datestamps, and whether by town, province or line, but we have scans of quite good line drawings of most lines, if they are of interest (free of charge!).

"If you are still interested in purchasing a copy of Jones, please make your payment by one of the following methods:-

*** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. ***

"Please make sure your name and "BPSC Jones" is included in all transfers. By the way, the cost only includes the cost of posting by surface mail. For some reason the Post Office quote several weeks for delivery, so you may have to wait for a while.

"Many thanks for your interest. I'm sure that you will find the book useful and enjoyable, and we hope to hear from you soon.

"With best wishes,

"Nick Martin

"Nick Martin
BELGAPOST Editor/Librarian/Webmaster
The Belgian Philatelic Study Circle
www.belgianphilatelicstudycircle.org.uk"

He has sent to book to me as of the end of last week, and I'll let you know when I get it how long it took to get across the pond.
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SForgCa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it has not been posted before, here is a list of the railway stations
http://users.telenet.be/pk/en/stations.htm

A list of all towns to identify the stations
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/BE/

And arguments on why these are Cinderellas - I still think they are BOBs
https://alphabetilately.org/TOC/RAILWAY-MAIL.html
Edited by SForgCa - 06/04/2019 07:22 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
156 Posts
Posted 06/09/2019   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Colleagues...

It's been more than two weeks since Chasa's posting (May 23) regarding speciality pages for Belgian "railway" stamps. My efforts to contact the (supposed) specialty page copyright holder have been unsuccessful. Same for my efforts re "railphilatelist" and the Belgian Philatelic Study Circle.

Has anyone else had better luck?

Thanks in advance.
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05