Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Railway Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,419Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
628 Posts
Posted 02/29/2020   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I recieved a box of stuff with this, that and everything.

These Belgian parcel bills with stamps from the 1949 series(my personal favorite series) were part of the contence.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   06:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

--Haven't done this in so long, I hope this posting looks OK and makes sense--

The pictured stamp came in a big box of el cheapo stamps, and I've had lots of fun playing with them. This stamp is curious, and perhaps you could shed some light on the following:

The postmark is circular, and not a "typical" parcel post/RR CXL. Any ideas why?

The postmarked city/station is Bruxelles-Elsene as near as I can determine. Is that correct? Where or what is that place (it is not listed in Jones)? I read the date as 1947-Dec-19, but wouldn't be surprised if I interpreted it incorrectly.

On a more general note: The world in Belgium would change dramatically shortly after this parcel was moved. How long did such parcel post/military stamps get used, i.e., does anyone have an idea of when they ceased being used, as the pre-WWII Belgian military effectively ceased to exist not long after this stamp was cancelled.

Thank you for any information you can provide about this stamp in particular, and the MQ situation in general.

Pillar Of The Community
France
1208 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Elsene (Ixelles in french) on Wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixelles
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Valolene, for the clarification on Elsene. Jones has entries for Ixelles but not Elsene. Never would have figured that out. One can imagine being a clerk back in the day. NOt only would he/she have to remember the names of all the stations, but also both the French and Dutch names for both.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am struggling to identify the station cancel on this stamp - any suggestions

Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Another one which I cant identify - suggestions welcome
Valued Member
256 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sijngem, also Syngem, Synghem, Zingem on the Hainaut- Flandres line, opened 28-6-1857

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Zingem
Edited by NSK - 05/25/2020 2:07 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NSK
Valued Member
256 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could the other one have some connection to Puurs, Puers in French?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NSK, I see it now its St Amands Puers - I kept seeing it as Pjers
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,419Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05