Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Railway Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,355Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my toughie for tonite:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tried to put this on the previous post, but no luck.

This is the only think I could find:

This is in the Charleroi district, and the closest railroad is to the E/SE about a mile or so.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cursory Research, Tony.
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoorlijn_121

Tough finding a map.
Industrial Lines (out of order =broken up, I assume)
http://www.wikiwand.com/fr/Liste_de..._de_Belgique

See Ransart - Masses-Diarbois. #256

Edited by rod222 - 12/19/2018 8:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To ask an intelligent question, a researcher has to know three-quarters of the answer. Obviously, I'm not nearly there yet. My first foray into these stamps was December 14th, so I'm not unhappy with my progress, by any means. I get that you have railway route lists, and I'll figure out where they hide on the Web and bookmark the appropriate sites.

What I don't understand is how you knew to look at the route you found the station on. That line was torn up 33 years ago. Is there a search tool or other asset that links station names to a specific railroad route? I've seen a few route station lists on Wikipedia, but those were more luck than anything else, and weren't always what I was looking for.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2416 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the answer....
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I don't understand is how you knew to look at the route you found the station on.

Tony, you are doing just fine.
I am just a newbie, as well, First requirement, is curiosity, which we both share.
The rest is searching ability.
Perf 12 is an advanced fellow in this discipline, so is 22 crows, and others.

I merely typed in "masses Diarbois Rail" in my search engine, and up popped the options, "translate this page" followed.

Experiment with Text strings "Belgian railway maps" etc, and all sorts of goodies are served up.
Generally speaking the more accurate, and quantity of relevance you type in the text string, the better the response.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

By the way, further to Chasa's response, have you noticed the date of your parcel strike ?

1535 I was wondering if this is a date slug error, or otherwise.........

I was thinking it should have been 1935.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2416 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod that is 3pm December 4, 1935
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod that is 3pm December 4, 1935

Right! Thanks Chasa,
was staring me in the face, but completely flew over the head.
So your example was 7pm
I have learnt something here.

Edited by rod222 - 12/20/2018 12:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's where the postmark was most likely applied:

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Wow! nice pic there Robert, thanks a bunch.

Any members know if/how I can get / listen to a pronounciation of Masses-Diarbois please?
I am assuming "Mass-dubwa"

Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What or where, does the NORD-BELGE postmark indicate? AFAIK there is no town/city named North Belgium. I've seen this one with TILLEUR on the bottom third of the postmark; there are others I've seen, but can't remember.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any members know if/how I can get / listen to a pronounciation of Masses-Diarbois please?

Try Google Translate. It has an audio feature.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What or where, does the NORD-BELGE postmark indicate?

Perhaps this:

Quote:
La Compagnie du Nord - Belge était la branche administrative belge de la grande compagnie ferroviaire française Compagnie des Chemins de Fer du Nord, qui à partir de 1854 a exploité différents chemins de fer belges en Wallonie.

"The Compagnie du Nord - Belge was the Belgian administrative branch of the great French railway company Compagnie des Chemins de Fer du Nord, which from 1854 operated various Belgian railways in Wallonia."
Robert
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here are 3 examples of why I'm asking about Nord-Belge. If it isn't a specific location, is it the modern line that runs the line that Robert referenced? That would indicate why different locations are listed on the lower portion of the CXL. However, that would appear to be a different system/method than any other I've seen so far, with a city on top, and a sub-location or alternate spelling below.

Nord-Belge appears to be a rather common CXL.

Tony
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,355Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05