Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Railway Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,353Next Topic
Page: of 14
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try Google Translate. It has an audio feature.

Of course! Jeepers.
Thanks Robert.

Mass-Diar-bwa.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tilleur Railway Station

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soci%...e_fer_belges
Former (SCNB) National Society of Belgian Railways
wiki
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/201812216122?rt nc amp orig_cvip true amp nordt true target _blank rel nofollow 201812216122 /a .jpg" border="0" style='cursor:default' onClick='doimage(this,event)'>
Edited by rod222 - 12/20/2018 3:01 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

What is CXL ?

Your parcel strike LGE GUILIEMINS (sic) is on line 125 Liege Guillemins, South to Namur, ( The line also hosts your previous cancel STATTE )
It also hosted TILLEUR which is no longer in use.

Our previously discussed WAREMME is on line 36, Liege Guillemins North to Brussels.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1468 Posts
Posted 12/20/2018   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cancel
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I post a stamp's station in my spreadsheet, I also include the population of the town/area in which the station is located. That can be really easy, but some times it can be tough. Here's an example of the latter:

Obviously, Liege is a good-sized city, but what is sirene? I located it on a map, but have no clue as to the pop of the area. Any thoughts?

If I can't get an extimate, I'll just put the population of Liege down, but that's really inaccurate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6832 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a "Rue de la Sirene" in Liege. Maybe there was a train station nearby?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's one thing I found, another was a café somewhere next to a body of water (don't remember where). Sirene in French means Mermaid, and the only other thing I've found in Belgium is a statue of a mermaid in Oostende. I'm going to punt on this one, and assume it was a stop/station in the Liege area back in the day. The stamp was postmarked 109 years ago, and lots of things have happened during that time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6832 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, there is an E-book available on Google, " Tarif pour le transport des Marchandises " that I found by Googling "Luik-Sirene". Luik is the Dutch name for Liege. The book has a reference to Luik-Sirene but only as a freight office.
I believe Liege-Sirene must have been an early version of a UPS store - an office where one could mail packages by rail.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter et al,
Makes good sense to me. Excellent detective work. I'm going to send up another one, shortly.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/23/2018   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have really worked on this one, and have gotten nowhere. Have tried every alphabetic combination I can think off.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Tony
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/23/2018   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brazen Guess:
Bruges / Brugge (The Venice of the North)
In 1886 there was a Train Station at the "Bassin de Commerce"
Hence Broges-Bassin
I am not au-fait with the canal system, and where exactly it is situated,
nor what "line" number it attracted.

Line Suggestions
50A Brugge FR
Brugge-Dok FRBS
51 Brugge-Sint-Pieters FRSP
201 Brugge-Zeehaven FRMT

Edited by rod222 - 12/23/2018 3:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/23/2018   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, you nailed it! That was impressive. You even provided a proof-positive image.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/23/2018   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The trouble is, when tinkering around the perimeters of something you don't know much about, one tends to lose confidence, or, it raises more questions than it answers.

It would seem to me, the stamp paid for a journey of what I estimate being 1.5 km to 2 Km long, hardly worth the ticket

Brugge Central Station to Bassin.

Edited by rod222 - 12/23/2018 6:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/23/2018   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but think about it for a moment. In 1911, the horses in use far outnumbered any autos or trucks. A slog of that length thru mud and horse manure -- and back -- was probably something to be avoided. It was perhaps a bargain at 1 franc (if you had it).

Tony
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy New Year, all!

The suggestions you've made during the past few weeks have really helped me identify the vast majority of these stamps. However, I still run into a wall sometimes. Here's the latest:

The first part appears to read "USOLE" which totally stumps me. The latter part appears to be "GALEVOET" which should be easy to find, but I've had no luck. Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated.

Tony

Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,353Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05