Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Belgian Railway Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,352Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4942 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about Uccle, Calevoet?

Well done Geoff.

Ukkel-Kalevoet (Line 124) Code FTE

Illustrating two spellings (I think we have to be cognisant of this problem forthwith)

Edited by rod222 - 12/31/2018 4:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4942 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just got my good deed for the year in on time.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Note : The 2 siblings

Ukkle Stalle Railway Station, and Ukkle Kalevoet Railway Station.

Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tohill2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I've taken a hard look at the letters, and have come to the following conclusions: 1. You are right. 2. I would not have figured that out by myself.

Many thanks.

Now, I need to buy a batch of these to play with. Does anyone have a source they would recommend?

Tony
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4942 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I usually opt for the French, which can cause difficulties in some Flemish areas - "This is Ghent, speak English", a waiter told us when we ordered en français.

Just south of Gare du Midi, where the Eurostar rolls into Brussels.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now, I need to buy a batch of these to play with. Does anyone have a source they would recommend?

I have a standing search with eBay,
they email me when Railways are listed.
1. Most are overpriced (In my opinion, and limited knowledge of the rarities)
2. Have patience, lots come occaisionally that are value.

I bought these last week for $3.99

Valued Member
United Kingdom
137 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The research and information coming up here is fascinating - thanks to all

I too buy on eBay. Once I had my basic sets sorted I managed to capture a few larger lots. Stockbooks that have been stripped of the more valuable mint stamps but have a quantity of used still remaining do appear from time to time.

There was a huge lot of the complete dockets on BIN a few months ago that didn't move for ages, you could buy 100, 500 or a thousand. I didn't buy any because they'd take up a lot of space and although you'd get a lot of the stamps you'd get a limited number of postmarks

Occasionally I've seen boxes of thousands appear, while there are always pages like the one Rod posted appearing if you search and it has occurred to me that there must be lots placed in other auctions but the catalogues I've looked at have never thrown any up yet, but I live in hope!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4942 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   03:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crispin - hello, and Happy New Year. There's a large, cheap, duplicated Belgian lot in the next SSA sale, with back of book mentioned. May be worth a punt if you can face piles of stuff you don't want!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
137 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Geoff and a Happy New Year to you as well. Thanks for the tipoff but I'm not sure what the SSA sale is? Sorry to be dim
Valued Member
United Kingdom
36 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deltic1575 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it is Somerset Stamp Auction see http://www.somersetstampauctions.co...Text=belgium

At present there is a collection on eBay that might be of interest

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELGIUM-....m1431.l2649
Edited by deltic1575 - 01/01/2019 06:07 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Crispin,
I'd like to bid on the eBay lot, that was referred to you,
I shall not, but if you don't intend to bid, or pull out, please let me know so I can begin bidding.

Otherwise Good Luck.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
137 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod thanks for your message I don't think I will bid on those railway stamps on eBay so do go ahead and good luck! I might follow up the SSA lots though, I quite often bid on their stuff and I've been very pleased with some of the things I've won.

Best wishes to you and everybody here for 2019

Crispin
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a bunch Crispin, if you change your mind, let me know.
I won't be on the SSA lot.

I have Belgium duplicates (not railway parcels) so if you collect Belgium,
email me, and I'll send some over

Update : Yikes ! that eBay lot is already up to $12 AUD... I'll probably just watch.

Edited by rod222 - 01/01/2019 5:37 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
137 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Deltic 1575,

Quote:
I guess it is Somerset Stamp Auction
thanks for that, I even get their catalogues, one's sitting beside me now but I never made the connection! Dohhhhh!

Because the railway stamps were so widely used I believe once the parcels had been collected etc the authorities had them soaked off the dockets and sold them. They often appear in general collections, so as you say a big general collection may have many of them and if the other stamps aren't of interest they can be moved on

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 16,352Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05