Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just A Fun Post About Zeppelin Picutre Post Card

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
175 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add carabop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today I had the opportunity to see a picture post card of a zeppelin with a c13 stamp on it. Used picture post card and stamp, average condition. I asked the guy how much, he said $450.
Just for fun how many would buy it?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A C13 "on cover or card" is valued at $175 per the Scott Specialized Catalog (2013), a value which hasn't changed in more than a decade.

Is there something special about this particular card that would make it more valuable (i.e. postmark, picture postcard depicting something special, especially nice centering of the stamp, etc.)?

At that price, I'd pass.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wt1 - 03/12/2014 11:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 03/12/2014   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add carabop to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing real special about it. I threw this little question out here because some of these people that sell this stuff to us must think we are idiots or something. As stated from wt1 it is no where near worth what they guy wanted. I don't know maybe he thought I had tons of money or something to just give away to him. But I see this more and more when we try to buy something. Just my 2 cents worth.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 03/13/2014   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A C13 "on cover or card" is valued at $175 per the Scott Specialized Catalog (2013), a value which hasn't changed in more than a decade.

Just to add to this, the catalogue price on Zeps have either decreased or remained unchanged every year since 1983. From your description, I would estimate full retail of not more than $100 - and likely much less than that!

Cheers!

Brian
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that other hobby one often hears about (the second half of "stamps and") I recently read an op-ed piece lamenting that the craze for certification has led to a less-informed buyer.

In parallel, the internet has made it much more common for the wholly uninformed to come into ready contact with merchandise they know nothing about. 40-odd years ago, I had to go to a coupla-times-each-year Jacques Schiff Jr auction to even have an opportunity to buy Columbian plate proofs; now, they are a click away, every day.

OTOH to both, it is so much easier to DIY research ...

Is it just me, or do many people seem to enjoy shopping & buying more than they enjoy searching & reading?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
620 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pjsstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think $450.00 is his, "I really don't want to sell it price."? I know people that list things at ridiculous prices because they just want to show them off. They can do that here without paying any listing fees. They may also list better items to get you to look at all their listings.
I once listed a E7 on cover that I didn't really want to sell, but I thought if I listed some better items it may bring business in. I started it at $275.00, which was more than full catalog at the time. It sold for $302.50. I was surprised. I now had an incomplete set of Special Deliveries on cover. It took me a couple years to find another one in my price range and it is not nearly as nice as the one I sold, but I made a profit of over $250.00 and learned a lesson. The E7 on cover has jumped in price the last few years so the buyer knew something that I didn't.
I have a U.S. #1 on cover that I sometimes list as bait to bring people in. I do think it works. I list it at full catalog or a little better as I really don't want to sell it, but #1's on cover seem to be much easier to find than E7's used in the proper time period.
Edited by pjsstamps - 04/11/2014 09:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had to go to a coupla-times-each-year Jacques Schiff Jr auction to even have an opportunity to buy Columbian plate proofs

A point worth noting. Because of online auctions, the market on stamps is much more realistic, and items we once thought scarce are often times not. In the aforementioned case of Columbian plate proofs, these stamps are not only available every day of the year to us, the prices are competitive because we are not limited to twice-a-year auctions!

Quote:
OTOH to both, it is so much easier to DIY research

Yes, indeed! This very point, I believe, will help philately in the long run. I love the fact that the resources are available to everyone to become informed, if not experts in their field of collecting at the click of a mouse.

This forum, and the members in it, are collectively the best source of information I have ever known, or could ever hope for!

Quote:
Is it just me, or do many people seem to enjoy shopping & buying more than they enjoy searching & reading?

Depends on my mood that day. Some days I just want to enjoy a nice stamp for what it looks like. I specialize, but still buy stamps outside of my specialization just because I like them.

Other times, I enjoy the process of research and/or flyspeccing.

I think that most of us enjoy having a healthy balance of both!

Brian
Edited by Rileysan - 04/11/2014 10:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some days I just want to enjoy a nice stamp for what it looks like.

This explains the half-dozen pre-embargo Cuban airmail covers in my pile; big, beautiful, 'tradtional' engraved stamps.

Actually, it explains a lot more than that ;)

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1573 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In parallel, the internet has made it much more common for the wholly uninformed to come into ready contact with merchandise they know nothing about.

So true and one of them was posting here just the other day....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05