Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morley-bright Insta-tector To Detect Watermarks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/20/2014   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever heard of (or used) this device called a "Morley-Bright Insta-Tector? It's supposed to detect watermarks without soaking the stamps in watermark fluid.

It's being featured in Amos Publishing's weekly sale of coin and stamp supplies, but since I've never heard of it before, I was wondering how useful it really is.

http://www.amosadvantage.com/scotto..._desc=acc199
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 03/20/2014   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Save your bucks. This thing has had mixed reviews from users, including one or two on here. Buy stamps instead.

Terry
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 03/20/2014   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think most of the complains related to this product are related to the price, which is steep as you need to buy replacement cartridges every so often. I have heard that it works well, though.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1934 Posts
Posted 03/20/2014   6:41 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this. I've heard of the Morley device before, but didn't know how well it worked. I know the SAFE Signoscope is a lot more expensive, but does that work pretty well? I was considering getting one of those some day and was wondering how well they worked.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 03/20/2014   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I have some Great Britain and Hong Kong (red paper) stamps that are a real bear to watermark.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 03/22/2014   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add locobot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a relatively new collector as I have only been watermarking stamps for a year or so, but I have booth a morley bright and a signoscope. They both come in different flavors of which I have the cheaper versions. I prefer a watermark tray and ronsonol lighter fluid. I wish I had bought stamps instead. There is a benefit to the morley bright is that it potentially can watermark a stamp that is on cover, never tried it though.
United Kingdom
0 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add UKPilot1961 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All. Pretty new to this forum so not sure if I'm in the right place. I have a Morley Bright detector and have owned it for several years. Works OK but the ink sachet now is no good. Does anyone know or could tell me where I can purchase a replacement here in the UK. Have done a few searches but with no success. Many thanks
Valued Member
United Kingdom
5 Posts
Posted 09/07/2019   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Goodwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried a couple of years ago to get replacement sachets and was told that it was obsolete. I gave up. I'll be interested to hear if you manage to located some.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1634 Posts
Posted 09/07/2019   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also say, do not get the Morley-Bright system. Watermark fluid, Ronsonol and the Signoscope always did a better and faster job of detecting watermarks and as UKPilot1961 notes, the essential sachet/packet of fluid does not last forever (some failed quickly). It probably can't be replaced today unless you are really lucky. When the Morley-Bright first came out (late 1970s), nobody I know bought a spare sachet figuring that the cost implied high quality, which it is really not. It was only manufactured for a couple of years at best.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05