Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cyprus 91 Color Check

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3210 Posts
Posted 03/23/2014   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these two items. Scotts describes as "Green and Dp Green" while SG 118 just says "Green". (My Album, though, says Green and Deep Green.)

Are these the same item?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5709 Posts
Posted 03/23/2014   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that this stamp has a very wide variation in appearance of used examples. This is likely due to the chalk paper.

I have quite a few and it is almost not an exaggeration to say that no two look the same.

I don't know how many times they were printed, but there was not another 1/2pi stamp until the Salamis Forum pictorial of December, 1934, so that stretch of time could have introduced shade variations. Guessing. In used stamps, I attribute most of the variation to the soaking of the chalk paper.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 07/20/2019   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting - I have even more of a variation for the 3/4 piastre stamp (Scott 92).

Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Commonwealth Five Reigns Catalogue which covers from Queen Victoria to King George VI shows two color shades for this stamp. One is listed as Yellow-Green and the other as Deep Green. I would contend you have both options, but generally the Yellow-Green is not so yellow. The last publication of this catalog was 1980, so not too many collectors use it, or even know about it.

I would look at unused stamps first before making a final decision. The yellow one might just be washed out.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you - I'm not familiar with that catalogue, but sounds worthwhile.
Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
Posted 07/21/2019   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Commonwealth Catalogue is a good resource if you are specializing in any of the older British Colonies and want something with more listings than Scott or Gibbons. Unfortunately it has not been published since 1980, so you can only find it as a used book. I see them on eBay from time to time.

I collect British Colonies from the West Indies, and use the Commonwealth Catalogue in addition to Gibbons to look for color shades. It does help explain some of the things you find - like your two colors of Cyprus. Other than Bridger & Kay (who published the catalog), no one else lists any stamps with CW numbers.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Valued Member
Canada
399 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again - at the moment my old British colony collection is in general not very strong, but who knows what country will interest me next...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3210 Posts
Posted 07/22/2019   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. A 5-year old topic resurrected and great information added. This really shows the value of doing a search before starting a new topic. SCF is truly a wonderful place ...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05