Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1949 Upu Issues List

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 6,751Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BradS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a list I can download somewhere that tells me what all the stamps are that were issued for the 1949 UPU Anniversary? Are there album pages specifically for collecting them? Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a fascinating area of study. I know in Panama, the UPU issues were several stamps that were overprinted for the occasion. I have not heard of such an album. One might be able to cobble one together from Steiner pages.

http://www.stampalbums.com/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are UPU albums, but I do not know the manufacturer. My guess is that they may no longer be in production.

I assume you want more than just the BC omnibus issue (that list is available in the Scott catalog and online -- google it).

Maybe someone is aware of an online list for ALL the 75th anniversary issues?
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brenda Tucker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That list only includes BC omnibus issue.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BradS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be most interested in determining what was issued from all countries, it may be such a comprehensive list is not readily downloaded from somewhere. I tried Google and haven't come up with such a thing yet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are an ATA member, they have a 19page checklist (membership fee, plus 20c per page cost). That list IS very comprehensive, and should list not only the BC omnibus issue, not only the 75th anniversary issues, but ALL the UPU topical stamps (I think it does not include cinderellas/bogus/illegal issues).

Again, hopefully can chime in who knows of a comprehensive online list for all the 75th anniversary issues.
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brenda Tucker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The list at worldstamps gives Scott numbers. Also, I found this album. Would it include the 1949 issues?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-P...em58aaf440c9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That album on eBay is for the 100th anniversary issue. It would not include the 1949 issues.

Very nice of you to help look, Brenda!
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brenda Tucker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is used binder only.

But Brenda's link brings up a good point. I know White Ace still makes the Centennial UPU album. You might want to write and ask them if they still make the 75th anniversary UPU album -- also confirm whether it contains all the issues or only the omnibus. Who know, they might even have a checklist they can give you!
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BradS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everybody has been so helpful, I greatly appreciate it! I may contact White Ace then and see about the 1949 UPU pages.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1485 Posts
Posted 04/08/2014   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as the stamps are concerned, if you check out the Freestampcatalogue for the years 1949-51 under the heading U.P.U. you can see most of the stamps issued for the 75th UPU anniversary:

http://www.postbeeld.com/en/fsc/sea...year-to=1951
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 04/22/2014   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BradS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought there may be some interest in these UPU issues so I would like to share what more I have learned:

1. White Ace made pages that could be purchased but they came in two parts. Washington Press tells me part 2 is out of print.

2. Seahorse Publishing offers pages for the Omnibus issues (41 pages total).

3. There was a book published in 2005 about the 75th anniversary of the UPU. I have little information as of yet.

4. Marian Carne Zinsmeister put together a handbook of all stamps issued, even those outside the omnibus. I was able to find a copy and purchase it. Here are scans from the handbook:

The handbook contains some nice details about each stamp. Now I just need to go out and find the stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/22/2014   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some are shown at this eBay link, too. (I cringe when I realize these stamps are mostly in what look to be Crystal Mounts, the notorious stamp mounts from the 1960s that ruined many a collection over the years.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-P...i=RTM1562571
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 04/22/2014   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BradS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link wt1. This gives me a good look at the design of the White Ace pages.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 6,751Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05