Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kiloware 'treasure'

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/09/2014   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TurboJay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
Just wanted to hear your views on a topic I stumbled across quite a while back,

What do you class as treasure once you have bought your kiloware?
Personally the 'treasure' for me is the stamps that I collect at present, E.G all Christmas comms from early 60's onwards(im just starting might I add)as to start to fill my stamp collection book,
Other people who I have talked to about this say their 'treasure' is buying the kiloware on paper from a direct source, charity I presume and then counting all the unfranked, reselling it on eBay etc and then making a profit on it and then they get to decide if they want the lot or sell it as 'kiloware no unfranked seen',
surely this cannot be 'kiloware' can it? Sorry for the noob question.
Turbo
Send note to Staff
Edited by TurboJay - 04/09/2014 11:17 am

Valued Member
Canada
123 Posts
Posted 04/09/2014   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to know a good source of kilo ware in Canada.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/09/2014   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I believe you have posted your post in the wrong thread, as this is where I am talking about kiloware 'Treasure',
Turbo
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1672 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a large bag of on paper stamps a long time ago and only recently finished soaking and sorting. Out of about 4,000 stamps I have kept around 20 which were worthwhile including a full set of the 1997 Enchede printed Castle set all with rather nice CDS.

CDS type cancels are important as Stanley Gibbons do not catalogue anything other than fine used with CDS. So, anything with a CDS (GB stamps) can now be regarded as treasure... and this is going to be reflected in the new GB Concise Catalogue as prices for fine used (S.G. defined) are set for a big increase. In the words of the S.G. catalogue editor..."the 2014 edition will see substantial increases to some used stamps. Average, postally used examples remain of little value, sadly".

I'd expect little or no CDS cancelled stamps to be found in future GB kiloware as all the best will be picked out and the rest of little value sold on.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi scotzm,
thankyou for sharing your views on this, would it be possible for you to upload a picture of a GB CDS type cancel please?
Turbo
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scotzm,
If you are talking about the stamp with a circle type cancel or a circle overlapping another circle then I have over 50kg's of them types in a bag I bought on my second purchase of kiloware just under 2 years ago, I admit they are only the definitive issues though, you probably mean on the commemorative's? I actually bought this second lot because I was curious, I have another bag of xmas type's with these cancel's on them but im not sure what xmas stamps are classed as? the seller gave them to me as he was having a big clear out, so I obtained them for free, the 50kg's of cancel's I paid £4.00 for them all, free postage too, the seller made a mistake to list them to finish at 5am UK time, luckily for me I have sleeping issue's so I got the deal,
If I might just add this= the cancel's have letter's (I presume initials) on them, or places, like Nottingham,Manchester,Newcastle, with dates on, I will have more than 50kg of them types, I know very little about stamps, I dont sell any stamps as I am on the Treasure hunt also, I will only start to sell my stamps once I know I do not want them, in the mean time i'll just use them as insulation, haha,
Turbo
Edited by TurboJay - 04/10/2014 1:27 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scotzm,
Also, 2 people who I have bought stamps from are holding over 40kg each for me in definitive stamps on paper, what price is normally classed as reasonable? they sell to me at 50p per Kilo, im not sure if thats a good deal or not but I just like to see all them stamps haha, also the stamps they hold for me are the 1970's stamps, so no self adhesives,
Turbo
Edited by TurboJay - 04/10/2014 1:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1672 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You really need a picture of a cds? Well, anyway, here is one of the 1997 Enchede printed Castle stamps I found in kiloware/ charity bag. I paid 50p for the plastic bagfull and kept 20 stamps including this pair. As I previously posted... anything with a CDS will potentially become treasure as very very few are produced these days. I go to my local Post Office and get them to cancel my stamps.

If you get stamps at 50p per kilo then it shows the true worth of most stamps. Fractions of a penny each if lucky but if there are CDS cancels then it is worth sorting as they are at a premium.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou for the pictures, not quite sure how to take the first sentance, insult or rhetorical question? would you like to see 2 of the cancels im on about? 1 bag is full of the first cancel and the 2nd bag is full of the second cancel,ill upload the pictures in 10minutes or less,
Turbo
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1672 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither insulting or rhetorical... just taken by surprise in these days of instant access to information via Google et al
Please post any picture you can.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1928 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   2:50 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Firstly, let me say that for my own purposes, I define kiloware as any unsorted mixture, on or off paper. I certainly haven't found any great rarities worth thousands of dollars. However, anytime I find something worth more than 5 or 10 bucks or so in a 5-cent each mix, I count it as a "find" in my book.

At the end of the day, I determine if a mixture was worthwhile or not by the percentage of Scott it ends up costing per usable stamp I add to my collection. No, I don't do a spreadsheet, just a little mental math. If I pay $2 for 100 stamps, but 90 of them are duplicates and the other 10 are all 25-centers, I probably wouldn't reorder that mixture. If I end up paying 50% or less of catalog when it's all said and done, that's still not too bad, since that's probably around what I'd pay a dealer for those stamps off a price list. Of course, most mixtures are a much better value than that, and I've had ones that probably came in at under 1% CV before, even after removing the duplicates!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TheArtfulHinger,
Thankyou also for sharing your view, very interesting,
Scotzm, ok my friend, ill upload them very soon,
Turbo
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
picture of my first bag,

second bag,

wow that was a struggle, very confusing indeed,
Turbo
Edited by TurboJay - 04/10/2014 6:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
517 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had no idea - and still don't - what a CDS cancel is. I see it, it's lovely, now what makes it special?

And please inform - what does CDS stand for? (A Google search on a definitions site as 84 definitions for the abbreviation CDS)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1928 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   3:32 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CDS = Circular Date Stamp. I don't collect them, but many postmark collectors do.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou centerstage98 for asking another important question, and also thankyou again TheArtfulHinger, I currently cannot see the pictures of the cancel circle marks I have just uploaded, if there is a problem then please post it, and i'll do my best to change them,
Turbo
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05