Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kiloware 'treasure'

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
517 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Artful ... that clears some things up.

What is that last photo, Turbo????
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi centerstage98,
them pictures are the CDS cancel's I have bought in bags just under 2 years ago, the 'normal circle' ones are the first bag I bought,
the 'squiggly circle' ones are the second bag I got given,
Turbo
Pillar Of The Community
United States
517 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for cancellation info.
The picture I referred to shows dozens of stacks (6 and 7 parcels high)of something (money???) wrapped in plastic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2649 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   4:31 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stacks look like bundleware.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/10/2014   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
now I can view all my pictures, hi again battlestamps, they are my stamps that I got in the kiloware that were off paper, majority UK definitives all colours, some German, and the rest are not known to me, I put them in bundles of 100 or 150, then cut strips of cardboard up and put them around them to keep them in the bundle, that is where my OCD kicks in, if they are all the same they have to be bundled up, they are in my loft now, put them in there last night, I have quite afew of these bundles, cannot get rid of them, not sure why I cannot get rid of them though,
Turbo
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   12:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The squiggly cancels or postmarks are from Ireland on Great Britain (GB) stamps. I wish we had them here in Canada, or something like them. They really dress up a stamp and cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1672 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   04:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK... thanks for posting your postmarks. They look to me as follows...
1. Great CDS... pity the stamp is damaged.
2. Rubber parcel postmark.
3. Normal modern counter type stamp all P.O.'s have these days.
4. Rubber parcel postmark
5 & 6. Normal modern counter type postmark. One I can see is from the Scottish islands which some will collect intact. Yours is from the Shetland Island.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been saying for years that used GB with clear CDS cancels would become worth more than most of the pre packaged "collectors" stuff that Royal Mail put out. Fine used CDS cancelled are the only GB I collect now, and even then the stamp must appeal for design quality, significance of issue and so on. I have no interest in stamps simply composed of photographs with some type dropped in, or "memorable" events of dubious merit. Any day now I expect stamps bearing snaps of the Queen's corgis being wormed by the Royal Vet.

Terry
Edited by Terence Collins - 04/11/2014 05:19 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Puzzler,
Thankyou for your input, maybe its time you move to the UK then?
Scotzm, Thankyou again my friend for helping me here,
Terry, I have just came out of a laughing fit after reading your reply,
Turbo
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scotzm,
This is a question for you, do CDS cancel collectors want stamps to be on the paper? or soaked off? I presume on paper like the full envelope?
Turbo
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1672 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are many ways of collecting postmarks or, indeed, stamps...

This first image could be described as fine used (in the terms described by Stanley Gibbons) and would therefore be "cataloged" . That is what I look for to soak off paper and add to my collection (self-adhesives I would cut neatly to show minimum paper).

This second image is the normal for these days and is NOT cataloged by S.G. as it does not conform to their criteria. It might have value as some people collect various slogans, ink-jet cancels etc.

Other collectors will want CDS with town names and, if from kiloware, the only option is a cut square containing as much of the postmark as possible. Some stamps will have the whole CDS on the stamp and can be soaked off. Slogan postmarks are usually, but not always, collected as a 4" x 2" strip.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1187 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terence Collins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Turbojay,

To add to that, it is best to keep the stamp on piece if that will preserve a complete clear CDS, or whatever type, cancel. It is nice if the piece is neatly cut square or rectangular, but it doesn't really matter if it isn't. Here is my set of Egypt aviation stamps on an irregularly cut piece as it came to me. I still love it and would not part with it. In contrast a Walloon block of four off paper but also with complete cancels. Also nice. And all mine.

Terry

PS. And much nicer than mint. And you can use hinges if you so desire.
TC.

Edited by Terence Collins - 04/11/2014 3:29 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
139 Posts
Posted 04/11/2014   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TurboJay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi scotzm,
Thankyou for the input, much clearer now, I have thousands off paper (old denominations and new) of CDS cancel's, like Hull etc, but they are all off paper,
Terry,
Also thankyou for the input, much clearer view now,
Turbo
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 04/24/2014   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chewie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
learn something new every day. thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 09/17/2017   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping older thread over one year from original posting date!

@TERENCE COLLINS, very nice Egypt Aviation Stamps, one stamp interests me, the 20 face value, could this be a Zeppelin?

Stampmaster
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05