Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Albums Vs Vario Sheets

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 12,479Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sleepy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread is particularly relevant to my problem with the Transportaion and Prominent American series.
Both appear in several places, were issued piecemeal at different times, and need to be (in my opinion) consolidated as two distinct groups.
Having seen the images I've concluded that the best solution for me will be to use Scott National blank pages to concentrate the different partial groups.
But then, I'll have to modify the original album pages that provide space for the partial groups of these series that appear in several different places.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3814 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or to take the transportation coils in another organizational direction, ignore the 4 current groupings of catalog numbers. But rather than condensing to 2 groups, why not expand it to 6? Specifically by rate periods during the use of the series. The first transportation coils were issued when the first class rate was 18 cents, then progressing to 20, 22, 25, 29, and 32, with similar changes to the second ounce rate, postcards, bulk, presort, etc. The Prominent American series can be similarly split more finely ... to tell the story of the rate periods which the series covered.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
647 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Varios, organized by year of issue. Let's you see the evolution of postal rates and how that affected longer definitive series like Great Americans and Transport Coils. And using Varios makes it easier to work in varieties not pictured in a pre-printed album (shades, tagging, etc).

But we all have to struggle to find the system that works the best, and it often takes several experiments before you reach the Goldilocks moment of "Just Right" for the way you collect.
APS #173088
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oceanbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually like both. For my collection of Norman Rockwell covers the VARIOS pages work best by showing two cover per side.

I also like the pages from White Ace for specialized collection but have turn away from their set up except their pages have spaces for a single, block of 4 and a plate block. So after buying a couple of sets from them I have gotten their theme blanks (i.e. Americana and United States Commemoratives) to create my own.

For the 1938 Presidential series I use the US Commemoratives to mount a FDC, a plate block and a description for each stamp in the series, Here is a sample of one page.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
288 Posts
Posted 09/23/2018   6:34 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a fascinating old thread.

I have also struggled with this question, and use both printed albums and stock pages.
The biggest objection I have to stock pages is the lint, dust, paper, and who knows what
else they seem to attract after awhile... Every one of you knows this, but nobody mentioned it.
These negative aspects can be minimized by using quality binders with dust cases, such as
Lighthouse Vario F.

The Vario Plus pages, of course, are the top of the line, but their very stiffness makes
them sometimes difficult to work with, and they are expensive compared to cheaper alternatives.
I've noticed that the latest craze in stock sheets is a brand called "Anchor," which is much
cheaper than Vario alternatives. I sincerely doubt the Anchor claims about safety for long term
storage. But, I could be wrong about that.

So many choices, so little time! Time, that's always the rub...

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 09/24/2018 04:30 am
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
Posted 06/06/2019   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trabz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was using Vario sytem for years and now I am thinking to shift to Album page system since it contains more information and it looks more presentable. However, the cost of the pre prepared pages with the mounts is bit expensive.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ezeta63 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I view albums as the "frame" and Vario and other stockbooks as the Easel. In order to enjoy the stamps, you can't have too many on a single page, otherwise they just blur into one another. My collection is still in the accumulation stage so it's in stock books/pages. Ultimately I will put it in albums. I still have my boyhood collection which my mother and grandmother helped me with, that will go into a separate album that I will create the pages for. As so many folks have said, there are no rules enjoy your collection as you see fit.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 06/10/2019   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually use Vario sheets to store everything. Then I create digital albums using Libreoffice Draw and Steiner sheets. When I need a custom page, I just clone a Steiner page and start moving things around. I also take the scans I used to make the digital album and upload copies to Smugmug, so I can whip out my phone and look at any stamp I own.

Edited by bakechad - 06/10/2019 2:50 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 12,479Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05